Bob Loblaw

Sharkys Reef in NOLA?

Any of you Nola folk remember this place? One of our painters said it was a bar/restaurant back in the day with a massive tank that housed sharks. Google hasn't been too helpful but this AP story came up--

Aug. 23, 1988 1:05 PM ET

METAIRIE, LA. METAIRIE, La. (AP) _ A 6-foot tiger shark in a restaurant fish tank attacked a diver who had climbed in to feed other fish.

Wiley Beevers needed 75 stitches to close the bite on his arm, said Jack Dunn, one of the owners of Sharky's Reef Restaurant in suburban New Orleans.

The attack happened Friday as about 50 people were dining, Dunn said Monday.

''They got to see something a lot of people hope they'll never get to see,'' said Dunn said. ''They were concerned for the diver, and were relieved to see he was OK.''

Beevers left the aquarium on his own and was taken to East Jefferson Hospital, Dunn said. He was released a few hours later.

Dunn said divers routinely go into the 135,000-gallon aquarium to feed fish. The shark had never before bothered a diver, he said.

Found this old ace vid as well---

Yep...I went there quite a bit back in the day. The guy who owned it is Jack Dunn. He and my dad ran track together in high school at East Jefferson. He's a big freshwater hobbyist, and has probably over 10,000 gallons of aquariums at his home in a swanky part of Madisonville. He still has all the acrylic (each piece is over a foot thick) for the shark tanks stored at his house. His goal is to build a small public aquarium in the Mandeville area, but, the city council has shot him down on many occasions.

Kirk, what happened to the place?

A restaurant in BR had a few tanks with damsels and SPS skeletons that I thought was the coolest thing ever.  I can't imagine how awesome that must have been to see as a kid. My orthodontist had some damsel tanks as well but the hygienist were the real eye candy; they almost made braces not suck so bad.

Edited by tobias funke

Kirk, what happened to the place?

A restaurant in BR had a few tanks with damsels and SPS skeletons that I thought was the coolest thing ever.  I can't imagine how awesome that must have been to see as a kid. My orthodontist had some damsel tanks as well but the hygienist were the real eye candy; they almost made braces not suck so bad.

He sold it I believe back in 1992 (it closed a couple of years after), and then opened a similar restaurant in Baton Rouge, which has since closed. I cannot remember the name of the place. The food was OK, but, the nightclub was pretty cool...especially the cage dancers ;) The building is still there, but, it's something else now. It was a "teen club" for a bit, but, I couldn't tell you what it's being used for now.

Was a commercial diver hangout back in the day ... went there myself with my dad and another diver who was related somehow to the owner ... he gave me a ballcap that day... I was just a youngster then.

Actually got thrown out of this place back when I was just a pup.  :P  I wasn't even involved in the fight... just with the wrong people that night.  :embarrassed:

• Like 1

WOW! Blast from the past! Went to sharkys reef and the teen club as a kid. Last time i passed there it had a sillouette of a couple of dancers on the building. Dont know if its open or not. Scary video for sure!

Scott thinks it was called Teaser's. I think the Beach Club (or maybe it was the Surf Club, can't remember) was out in West End near where Jaeger's Seafood used to be. Not a teen club...I was there quite a bit my first year at UNO. Saw DebbieDeb in concert there...she was stoned out of her gourd and could barely remember the simplistic lyrics to her songs, lol. Jax Brewery used to also have a few nice clubs on the top floor, like Hurricane's Dance Club. Oh, to be back in the late '80s and early 90's :)

• Like 1

Old video of me with the nurse shark. To set the record straight, Beevers had no business being in the tank especially after a four martini lunch. The shark was a 10ft female sandtiger. Very docile. She bumped into me many times while cleaning the glass. I was simply in her glide path and would gently move her or get out of her way. Shark bumps into drunk idiot. Idiot punches shark. Shark defensively snaps. She could of torn off his arm if she wanted to.

I remember going there when it opened as a restaurant.  It didnt last too long and was a teen dance club after that.  I never went to any of the other businesses that took over the space other than the original restaurant.

It was a good concept but I remember my dad saying the food wasn't that good.  

On a separate topic, can you imagine what a tank that size cost to build and maintain back then?

Scott thinks it was called Teaser's. I think the Beach Club (or maybe it was the Surf Club, can't remember) was out in West End near where Jaeger's Seafood used to be. Not a teen club...I was there quite a bit my first year at UNO. Saw DebbieDeb in concert there...she was stoned out of her gourd and could barely remember the simplistic lyrics to her songs, lol. Jax Brewery used to also have a few nice clubs on the top floor, like Hurricane's Dance Club. Oh, to be back in the late '80s and early 90's :)

that was neo beach out there at west end. i think i was at the same debbie deb concert you was at. saw a few concerts there. but back to the original topic i remember sharkeys very well, used to go there on the weekends when they had $5 all ya could drink. tank was massive, had several sharks in there if i remember right

Sharkeys Reef was not teen club it was a parking lot away from gators which became señor froggs great times !! Teen club teasers ; once a funeral home was on other side of veterans I believe on causeway itself !!! I loved fat city ( southsides, zeppelins uncle larrys etc )n as for Neos , amberjacks , Bart's etc that was at west end not fat city all amazing places in the 80s n early 90s !! N yes hurricanes in Jackie brewery !! Y'all r awesome for bringing this up !! Teasers was an actual funeral parlor b4 it was a teen club FYI my BFF ( RIP my little cuz ) godfather owned it !! 

Edited by Aries1973

2 hours ago, Aries1973 said:

Sharkeys Reef was not teen club it was a parking lot away from gators which became señor froggs great times !! Teen club teasers ; once a funeral home was on other side of veterans I believe on causeway itself !!! I loved fat city ( southsides, zeppelins uncle larrys etc )n as for Neos , amberjacks , Bart's etc that was at west end not fat city all amazing places in the 80s n early 90s !! N yes hurricanes in Jackie brewery !! Y'all r awesome for bringing this up !! Teasers was an actual funeral parlor b4 it was a teen club FYI my BFF ( RIP my little cuz ) godfather owned it !! 

The sharkeys reef was most certainly a teen club called "the beach" after sharkeys closed down in the early 90's

Jax Brewery used to also have a few nice clubs on the top floor, like Hurricane's Dance Club. Oh, to be back in the late '80s and early 90's [emoji4]

Was called Jax Fest if I remember right. Five different club types (themes) in one bldg.

Gators was the best IMO. So much actinic (black) lighting. "Shuck n Jive"[emoji2]

I used to be a mermaid in that tank when I was a teenager.  A friend of mine, Alicia, and I used to promote a drink there called the topless mermaid but we weren't topless.  It was just bikini tops and tails.  Funny though because we had to go through the back entrance because we were not old enough at the time to go to the actual bar.  Just under 18 at the time.  We would swim around for about 20 minutes at a time and got paid $50 each to swim with the sharks and interact with the crowds.  We also did this during the day when the restaurant was open and interact with the kids. Jack Dunn was a family friend of ours and a great guy!  Dana used to DJ there and JP was the shark expert.   p.s. Gators did rock lol.  Does anyone remember Paladium?

I think I went to Palladium once or twice.  Wasn't my kind of place.  Gators and Senor Frog's were fun places...ah back when Metry had a night life :)

Paladium was full of DB's.  Senor Frogs was awesome.  Getting back to the aquarium.  That tiger shark was beautiful but pretty cooped up in there.  The large nurse shark was called Mamoo and I think she was 9 feet? Plus 3 lemon sharks and if I remember correctly 5 other smaller nurse sharks.  The tank also have 2 morays, a bunch of angels and some queen angels. Oh and at least two pretty big Groupers!  The largest grouper (can't remember his name) had a habit of getting too close and sucking your mask off. 

We had so much fun at this place 20 something years ago when it was a nightclub we would dance on the wall by the sharks I will never have another place like this again