saltyfish808

Saltyfish's 600 gallon build

After looking over this thread, photobucket has now disabled 3rd party hosting, and its has removed a few years of pictures. I will try my best to go back to each post and upload pictures through the site. This may take a while...........

Ok, it took me a couple weeks, but i went back through and uploaded all the old pictures after the photobucket debacle. I did the best i could in finding all the original pictures. Let me add that photobucket can not be getting many 40$ a month payments for third party hosting and i hope they put a nail in their own coffen with this move.

• Thanks 1

Doing some work on my 125 gallon tank in the fish room. I put in a new dc pump I got at Macna,  which I drilled the sump for and ran externally. I built a 4 way manifold to run the tank, media reactor, calcium reactor, and a chaeto reactor that i am building. I also ordered 3 ocean revive lights to run on it. I put 2 jebao sw8 pumps on to take place if a couple maxi jets I had in there. Although I think I should have went with the sw15 pumps, they will work for now. Still need to order a ph controller and regulator to get the calcium reactor online. The chaeto reactor project is waiting on acrylic rods!

20170904_190151.jpg

1504570978624822206547.jpg

1504571009076342293670.jpg

15045710865201874711075.jpg

Got the chaeto reactor built and hooked up , ph controller and regulator installed for calcium reactor this weekend. I need to get some media for calcium reactor this weekso i can get it running. My new lights should also be in next week!

20170917_155701.jpg

20170917_155708.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mknightryder said:

:datsphatyo:You been spending alot of time in the fish room here lately!

...neighbors going to be thinking you growing weed up in there with all them lights!!! :dreads:

Yeah, i have been thinking about this upgrade to the 125 for a while. Its just time to get it done.  Altleast if i was growing weed  i would have some return on investment.........

Edited by saltyfish808

I just read through the entire thread from the initial home build. It's impressive the thought and work you've put into it. I may not be able to build a system like this, but it gives me ideas for my 120G. I got my tank from George and he really does nice work. It's nice to know that even experienced reefers with much larger systems than me run into problems. I've battled my share of issues over the last year and a half. I have had times I just want to quit. It's inspiring to see others go through adversities and keep pushing and thriving. The pictures and videos are awesome. Just a few thoughts:

- If you get a cheap orange gel filter, your pictures will filter the blue and look even more amazing

- did you purposely put the rocks in the center for swimming lanes? I'm used to smaller tanks and stacking against the back wall.

- with your QT now hosting frags, how do you deal with fish that need medications, i.e. copper?

- how much water change do you do and how often? I struggle with always having enough salt water on standby

- any suggestions on getting the chaeto to grow better? I am using a 6500K CF from Lowes in my sump but it never seems to grow.

Thanks and keep the pictures coming. I would love to see this tank in person some day and pick your brain for ideas.

Keith Evans, Slidell

tank pic.jpg

23 minutes ago, Keith said:

I just read through the entire thread from the initial home build. It's impressive the thought and work you've put into it. I may not be able to build a system like this, but it gives me ideas for my 120G. I got my tank from George and he really does nice work. It's nice to know that even experienced reefers with much larger systems than me run into problems. I've battled my share of issues over the last year and a half. I have had times I just want to quit. It's inspiring to see others go through adversities and keep pushing and thriving. The pictures and videos are awesome. Just a few thoughts:

- If you get a cheap orange gel filter, your pictures will filter the blue and look even more amazing

- did you purposely put the rocks in the center for swimming lanes? I'm used to smaller tanks and stacking against the back wall.

- with your QT now hosting frags, how do you deal with fish that need medications, i.e. copper?

- how much water change do you do and how often? I struggle with always having enough salt water on standby

- any suggestions on getting the chaeto to grow better? I am using a 6500K CF from Lowes in my sump but it never seems to grow.

Thanks and keep the pictures coming. I would love to see this tank in person some day and pick your brain for ideas.

Keith Evans, Slidell

tank pic.jpg

I definitely need to invest in a filter or even a good lens for my camera. I stacked all the rocks in center because my tank is 4ft deep and viewable from the 4 foot side. I wanted to be able to place coral down both sides, and the fish love the swimming room also. I dont see the need to have it now that all fish have been added and are extremely healthy. I change 45 gallons a week in the 600. I use a red and blue led par 38 grow light off of ebay and get excellent growth in my refugium. The light runs 24/7. My home always has an open door to members to check out the tank. Just contact me and we can set something up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, stoned said:

Looks awesome Brandon. Wanna come clean my tanks glass. You're very good at it. Lol

I have been talked into trying out the flipper cleaner.  Im hoping that it will replace the razor blade contraption i have been using. If it works well I'll let you know for sure

So now that i have the frag system up and going it time to start addressing my big probelm of eradicating all of the green pocillopora that has spead all over my tank. This project will likely start in January. I will be trying to save the coral i want and keep them in the frag system. I do have plenty of fish i have to worry about during this process. I am still on the fence if i want to replace all the rock in the tank. If i do i will order dry rock , cure it and plumb seperate containers to the tank to start seeding it for the transition. No matter if i do that or not, im pretty sure im going to have to have a black out in the tank long enough to kill the pocillopora off. The pocillopora has speard everywhere,  including the back wall of the tank, and even grows from the sand. Im open to ideas and suggestions because although I'm not concerned about losing coral in this process, the fish are my main concern. What do you guys think?

Are you going to be removing all the rock at one time? What will you be using for biological filtration if you remove all of it? If you go with lights out and are worried about die off of the coral, I would trim off all the branches that you can before hand.  

Im going remove almost all coral before the black out. If i change rocks after blackout, i will already have 250-300lbs circulating in the system for a couple months in remote bins plumbed to the sump. If i do that i will probably have a total system volume of about 850-900 gallons. Which will help for die off, but i can continue water changes also.

Edited by saltyfish808

Good luck. It reads like you are having fun even with the extra work. My novice advice is even with the rock circulating in the system for a couple of months, I would still replace the display rock slowly. Why not replace a little at a time over a few months. 

So i dove into gutting the coral and reworking the rock work in the 600 today. Still a bunch of work to do, but i feel great about the fresh start!

15214160897191113492844.jpg

15214161152441110241031.jpg

15214161311951405370351.jpg

1521416149131877272960.jpg

Edited by saltyfish808