Jstan84

Jstan84's PA 65 rimless

Finally got my tank in, Planet Aquariums 65 gal 36x18x24 rimless with external overflow and black silicone.  Also have my stand finished minus putting the door pulls on.  I am quite impressed with the tank though there are 3 things that aggravated me a little. 1. the tank has a very very small scratch on one of sides, it is on the outside and hard to spot  2.  some of the acrylic cover for the overflow is a little scuffed up on the outside, though you wont be able to see it.  3.  the hole in the overflow for the return does not line up perfectly with the notch in the overflow for the return nozzle,  not off enough to make it not work just a little thing I noticed.  Overall though I cant complain too much for the price I paid for a custom tank.  John at aqua hut did a good job with keeping me informed and giving me a great price.  The majority of equipment for this tank will be recycled from my 40 breeder.  The list includes:

2x MP10WES

Maxpect Razor 27" 16k  (thinking of possibly switching to a single radion though)

eshopps S-120 skimmer

finnex 300w titanium heating element

Reefkeeper light controller

aquamedic return pump

Havent figured out what Im gonna do for a media reactor yet.  I have a nextreef that is far too big, and an IM reactor that is too small.  Might sell both to get a bigger IM reactor

Sump is a 20L I built, may add another section with a filter sock tray so it will hold 2 socks and the socks will be much easier to change.

Also toying with the idea of building an algae scrubber too

I also have a bubble magus triple doser, but not gonna get too far ahead of myself

I have about 30-40lbs of my old rock from the 40 in a brute that has been marinating for the last 2 months, and also ordered another 20lbs from BRS

It has become obvious that I need to move back to the narrower lenses for the light fixture with the increased height.

20140830_135132_zpsc6256363.jpg

Dry fitting the piping, has since been glued

20140831_212929_zps3737c49d.jpg

I am still not 100% sure on what direction I am going to go with this tank but I am leaning away from heavy sps tank idea and gravitating towards a more forgiving system.  Gonna focus on fish more at the beginning and gradually move into some corals a little later

I am hoping to be adding water by next weekend!  Its good to finally have a tank that was exactly what I want (though I wish it was 3 feet longer and 6 inches wider).  This is the first time I have ever gotten a brand new tank of substantial size and I hope it turns out great.

A really nice touch that I had forgotten about as well is on the models with external overflow, they cover the back glass with black vinyl so you dont have to paint or mess with it!  Yours should be awesome too Dave!

Thanks everyone.  From what I have been told a radion will cover a 36"x36" area with the wide lenses.  The maxpect definitely gives good coverage, but I was never able to achieve the color that I have seen from so many radion lit tanks.  Im gonna give the razor a fair chance on this tank, but its something I have been kicking around.  Now that a used radion is so much more affordable than they used to be and they have better coverage is why I have been swinging that way.  

Also looking for ideas for my drains in the overflow.  I have been thinking of trying out maggie mufflers but are there any other effective ways in an overflow like this?

I use a durso with a mag 5 an I think my tank is very quiet. I dont know much about MM but I've heard good of them. You could put a valve on one drain and use the other as an emergency. What's your return pump rated?

Things are happening!

Got my built in filter sock holder installed in the sump

20140906_230837_zpsa29867dd.jpg

Water is going in!

20140906_224037_zps93899912.jpg

I used all my rock from the 40 and another 20 lbs added to it.  Was only able to get enough water in to cover the rocks last night, and I am waiting on a gate valve to come in today (gotta love amazon, Sunday delivery) so I can get the sump online and put the rest of the water in.

Thanks, the first piece is a 9" glass baffle, then the filter sock holder is a 4-1/2" piece of acrylic and cut the holes with a hole saw then put the 2" glass baffle at the end of the acrylic.  The silicone work looks horrible, which is par for the course for me, but it will make changing filter socks much less of a chore.  The hardest part was cutting the circles in the acrylic.  I couldn't find a 3-3/4" hole saw locally and didn't want to wait for shipping, so I used a 3-5/8" saw and opened the holes wider with a dremel.  It was a PITA.  

With this type of sock holder do the socks need to be recessed down so that the detritus can make its way into the sock? I was kinda thinking if you used 2 pieces of acrylic and cut the top hole a little larger so that the sock would sit flush. I dont know if i am overthinking it maybe?

I really like the filter sock holder setup like this. Have seen it in a lot of synergy and elite aquatics sumps. Building my own sump will save me quite a bit of money for other things!bwhat size tank is the sump made out of?

Edited by Dave

Its a 20 long. The materials to build the sock holder was about $25 including silicone. I have seen some of the high end acrylic builders recess a groove for the socks to rest on but I don't have that kind of ability. I'm sure it will work fine.

For how small the price difference was to go external it was a no brainer. I'm going out of town tomorrow and gonna replumb the drains when I get home. Joining the drain lines was a mistake for a Herbie style overflow. Its currently running under full suction on one drain and the other drain is capped. Gonna fix the plumbing to be two separate drains next weekend.

Its a 20 long. The materials to build the sock holder was about $25 including silicone. I have seen some of the high end acrylic builders recess a groove for the socks to rest on but I don't have that kind of ability. I'm sure it will work fine.

I dont have the ability to do that either. I was just thinking of using 2 pieces of acrylic. One with a bigger hole glued on top of the one with smaller hole.