captbenjy

Scared to see my tank

Finally going home tomorrow for a couple weeks. Started a new job offshore and I've been home ONE day in the past two months and my tank looked terrible. Lost a ton due to my Anemone attempt at the worst possible time. I'm truly hoping it's better than I think it may be. I've definitely lost a lot of my desire or passion for reef keeping the last couple of months. System is very close to being in the classifieds if things continue this way.

That's tough when a reef tank goes in the wrong direction. I'm pulling for you. Hope everything is ok.

Glad you found a job Benji. Sorry to hear about the tank. Like was said you just got the dream setup. Hope it sticks around.

As depressing as it is to loose everything, it would be equally as depressing to know that you gave up.

If I can impart some of my uneducated wisdom ( oxymoron ) regarding saltwater. Slow your roll a bit young grasshopper, take a small break, but never quit.

You have a beautiful system, it would be a shame for you to sell it due to a slight set back.

You know how much we lost going to start filling the 120 next week really miss the tank stick it out go simple if you have to long term you will be Glad you did

Go with easy to keep LPS and softies and low bioload if you will be offshore for long periods of time. Maybe get a friend to do a water change while ur gone.

I agree with these guys. If you need to step back and get your job situation in order I'm sure someone could hold some items until your ready to start again. Also I need someone who is minus more gigs than I am. Lol

I feel you. I'm gone for extended periods of time, and am always worried about what my tank will look like when I get back. Sometimes I have to remind the wife just to feed the fish.  :P

Go fish only.  A lot less headache.  Screw the corals.  Get some angels, etc., that would be off limits due to being corallivores.  I'm sure your kids are more fascinated by the fish anyway.

Yeah, if you're going to be regularly gone for that long it'll be difficult to keep a nice reef tank going long term.  Fish only would definitely be cool and still keep you in the hobby.  Good luck with whatever you do, hate to see a baller like you get out :D

Post up we know your home come up to breath, wife probably needs a break.....

• Like 1

My 250 is pretty much hands off and no work. Go with softies. They look nice AND grow off excess nutrients. So you can also go crazy with lots of fish too.

Leaning real hard to what Kirk said. Damn Aptasia has taken over. I'll be looking for another CBB this week.

Maybe a school of them. Damn it's bad.

Cant be that bad come on. 1 would do the trick acclamation box with a rock with aptasia would be your best bet get it use to eating it.

If going the FO route I believe there are a lot of beautiful butterflies that eat aptasia!