RedStickReefer

RedStickReefer's Dream Build

Thanks Mike!  I got off of work a little early today, so I made a little more progress.  Picked up some cheap 1/2" plywood at HD and a separate 2x4' sanded pine piece for the top.  I plan on putting an eased edge on it with a router and cutting out the portion where the tank will sit recessed to hide some of the black trim.  I'm currently saving scraps of wood from work to trim it out with.  As soon as I get enough scraps that are long enough, and match, I'll go ahead and trim it out.  Still trying to decide on what to do for the doors.

IMG_20170728_164409042_zpsbn7cbrob.jpg

• Like 1

Just wanted to pop in and say hi guys!  Sorry this is taking forever, but I promise I am still going to set up this 30g.  The problem is I lost most of my tools and all needed to complete the stand in the flood.  I got as far as I could with the remaining tools I have.  I also left my environmental career after 15 years to start a new one in a family construction business.  I'm not even going to pretend it hasn't been a tough road and money hasn't been an issue...  Luckily, I have some great friends/family.  Will_D has offered to help me complete the magnetic door panels, miter cut the trim, etc on one of his days off so I can go ahead and finish the stand.  Once I finally get the stand finished this build will start to move much more quickly and y'all will be seeing me around more.  With all that's happened in the last year it's looking more and more like my dream 240g build might just be that...a dream.  Maybe one day.

That's awesome, and thanks for the offer!  I'm over in that neighborhood every once in a while.  I have some friends that live there.  Oh, I also wanted to go ahead and put this out there because I know some might be wondering "How does he work for a family construction business and not have many tools at his disposal?"  Well, I'm a project manager so I don't build anything. Lol.  We have subs that do and have all the tools needed.

Not sure yet.  I'm open to suggestions.  This is only a 30 gallon tank and I plan on attempting SPS with this build, so my fish choices are limited.  I made a little bit of progress today thanks to the thanksgiving holiday.  Will_D helped me with the door panels.  Getting pumped up at the thought of my first reef tank in the house since the flood.  Stand is still rough, but progress is progress...Tank will be going in my home office/man cave. :)

37909085564_45e5781dbb_k.jpg2017-11-24_07-14-34 by Jensen Esneault, on Flickr

26850410979_5c55ae5ebc_k.jpg2017-11-24_07-15-12 by Jensen Esneault, on Flickr

I have a 30g mixed reef. I have a mandarin and yellow assessor for my fish. My cleanup crew is 2 conches, 2 pederson shrimp, 1 serpent star, 1 turbo snail and many mini brittle starfish. This has been working great for me. 

Cool, those are some nice fish.  I wouldn't want the hassle of ensuring the mandarin has enough to eat though.  Whatever livestock I go with I want to keep it simple with all or most of the inhabitants having a job to do in maintaining the tank.

Sweet stand Jensen! I just picked up a nuvo 20g peninsula tank a couple weeks ago since I'm shutting 300 down for a frag tank.  I need to build a stand for it.....It's sitting on kitchen counter top atm, wife isn't happy about that haha. Don't know if I want to build a fancy stand or a simple get the job done type....really dig what you've done with that stand has me contemplating a fancy one.

Got the corner trim on the stand and puttied the corners and nail holes.  Just need to find time to take it outside to give it a good sanding and paint.

23909429037_1eb02fd457_z.jpg2017-12-01_06-18-39 by Jensen Esneault

The new RO/DI unit arrived today and I got it installed.  The Reefkeeper Lite, 15 lbs of pukani rock and special grade sand are still on the way from BRS.  I'm getting excited now!  Once all of the above arrives all I'll have left is to plumb the tank and we'll get some water in this sucker! :D

38057461774_7363de29e5_k.jpg2017-12-01_06-19-27 by Jensen Esneault

• Like 1

Thanks!  More packages arrived today, and with each package I get closer to getting water in this tank.  I got my pukani rock today, but unfortunately BRS sent me one huge rock with a bunch of tiny ones.  The single rock is too large to use and the small ones would all need to be epoxied together to make a single decent island.  I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to try to break the large rock in half to get any kind of decent scape out of the rock sent to me.  I really don't want to spend any more money on rock...

If you decide to bust it up, I've got an old wet tile saw that I've used to cut BRS reef saver rock up in order to make shelf rock. Cuts thru it like butter! Just throwing that out there if you wanted to try to make you some shelf pieces...

Thanks for the offers guys, I really appreciate it.  The single rock I got was easily over 10lbs, probably 15lbs, and I was able to bust it up with a hammer and flathead screwdriver enough to make the minimalist scape I was going for.  I didn't have the heart to break it up any further as the piece I have remaining just looked too nice.  I plan on saving it for the larger dream build I still plan on doing eventually.  Below is a pic of the scape I'm shooting for and the remaining piece of rock.  It's not necessarily the final scape, but will look something like this.  I like to have plenty of room above the rock for the SPS to grow out and a good amount of negative space in my tanks.

24980591948_56c3fee794_k.jpg2017-12-05_10-04-22 by Jensen Esneault

23988267837_189abd1806_k.jpg2017-12-05_10-04-42 by Jensen Esneault

Fair enough... ;) Although you could've had @RoughLSUfan son come smash that rock for you!!! His young son does the best Hulk Smash impersonation I've ever seen!!! :rollingyellow:

Man I'm excited to see where this little 30l goes my friend! Whenever I moved all my corals into a 40B after the flood, I had the best growth spurt I've ever seen out of any of my corals since being in this hobby! Tank had no sand, no fish, packed to the gills with rock w/ sps, lps, zoas, palys, and a clam... Used a Rubbermaid tote for a sump. Very simple buy man it got the job done!!! 

Edited by mknightryder
Fat fingered the submit button prematurely!!