jpines

JR's 42 Gallon Reef

I guess it's about time for me to start a build thread for my new tank...

I introduced myself a few weeks back in the "new member area", but for those of you who didn't see/don't remember, my name is JR. I just moved to the area from Georgia. I had a 65 gallon reef tank about 1 year ago, but got rid of everything I owned that was fish related 6 months before I moved (in hindsight I should have held on to a good bit of equipment as that would have saved a ton of money for this tank). Anyway, on to the good stuff....

I bought a 42 gallon Cadlight's Versa tank. Came with a 16 gallon sump and JEBO 500 return pump (not happy with the sump, but i'll get to that later). It's been running almost 3 weeks now--started with a mixture of dry and live rock, so the tank was fully cycled in just under 2 weeks. Cycled via ammonia dosing. As far as equipment goes, I'm running dual BRS reactors (one for carbon, one for GFO). These things are huge, and with my total water volume (right at 40 gallons) I don't use enough GFO or carbon to need both. Going to combine GFO and Carbon into a single reactor when I change water this week. I'm running an aquamaxx CO-1 protein skimmer. 

--I haven't been pleased with the sump that the tank came with--the design has water in the skimmer section and return pump section being the same height at all times. Design flaw? Not sure. So i went out during Petco's dollar per gallon and bought a 20H and added baffles to it yesterday. Will be swapping sumps out this week also. 

--Return pump is extremely load--ordered sicce 2.0 and will be installing it when I add new sump. 

For lighting: I'm running a gen3 radion pro with RMS tank mount. Love this thing so far!

Water movement: Gyre 130--very pleased with this unit thus far. Although time will tell once I add coral.

As for tank plans: I fell in love with SPS just before I got out of the hobby. I plan on making this an sps dominant tank with maybe some zoas and other softies toward the bottom of the tank. 

Stocking plans: Pair of clowns, leopard wrasse pair(eventually), melanurus or yellow coris wrasse, pistol shrimp/goby pair (maybe), and a dwarf angel of some sort. 

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Would love to meet some local reefers in my area and checkout other local's tanks. 

Enough babble...i'll upload some pictures now

Sand%20Storm_zpsrjb3yrjh.jpg

Sand%20Cleared_zpsqimvtqme.jpg

View%20In%20Living%20Room_zpsbydblebg.jp

Edited by jpines

tank looks great!

I've been wondering about the Gyre. how do you like the flow pattern?

I also know the feeling of getting out and back in, and wishing you kept those little things haha.

cant wait to see the tank move forward!

Thanks! I'm loving the gyre so far. It pumps a lot of water. I think certain rock scapes may make it harder to get the "gyre" flow but with my tank it's working pretty good so far. Considering adding an mp10 to the opposite side to give a more random flow pattern. But I'll make that decision once I start adding coral.

Just ordered my first fish. They should be in tomorrow!

icon_redface.gif Ordered a pair of clownfish from an online vendor--the fish arrived in water that was an orange color and bag was labeled "copper in water". Not sure if this is common...anyway, I made the dumb mistake of adding them directly to DT as opposed to QT. The fish looked great initially and began breathing rather rapid after 12ish hours (ammo and nitrites are 0, nitrates 5-10 ppm). No signs of external disease at this point. 

Day 2: Wake-up and see larger female clown has fin rot (part of the tail fin has a chunk missing, assuming that's the issue) as well as a red spot near one of her gills. Looks to be a bacterial infection and possibly parasitic? 
----Spent my day going to peptic and getting a 10 gallon to setup QT. Went to LFS and bought some maracyn 2 as well as prazipor and hydroplex. Gave both fish a dip in hydroplex for 10 minutes and then added to QT. Dosed first round of maracyn tonight. 

If anyone has any other suggestions or feels that I should treat with something else I'm all ears. 

JR

Just a little update:

--Clownfish are doing much better. Treated for a week with antibiotics. They're both eating good and have returned back to DT.

--Added some coral to the tank--pictures below

ORA Green Planet
ORA%20Green%20Planet%20_zpscr3xxq2y.jpg

Fire and Ice 
Fire%20and%20Ice_zpsvjpdmrh7.jpg

Red Dragon
Red%20Dragon_zpsx0zdslpg.jpg

ORA Ice Tort
ORA%20Ice%20Tort_zpsqmk7m1sd.jpg

Also added some GSP to the overflow, a couple zoas, and a sour apple birds nest. Will try and get more pics this weekend

Where'd you order from? I've never had fish arrive in copper water; I'd be pretty ticked if they did.

Edited by Bob Loblaw

Ordered them off of exotic-reefs...called and asked about it and they said it was standard practice for their fish to prevent them from getting sick. I didn't have a copper test kit so I don't know that the dose was high enough to treat any disease...could have been just enough to mask it but who knows.

Haven't updated in a month so I figure it's time...

My clownfish are doing great. Eating like little pigs. I also added a small melanurus wrasse and a pistol shrimp/goby pair about 3.5 weeks ago. They're all eating good. The goby/shrimp pair are pretty cool to watch.

I've also added my fair share of corals over the last month. Stocked heavy with SPS. I've seen growth in the original 4 pieces I added. The ORA green planet and red dragon have paled out a bit but they're still growing. I moved them today to a slightly lower PAR to see if that would help. Also working on getting my nutrients where I want them. Phosphates reading 0 on Hanna ULR checker. Nitrates 1-2 ppm. 

To help my nutrients I added my prize fish today...picked up a female blue star leopard from Rick's reef. Watched her eat pellets in his store so i'm hoping this diet will transition over to my tank. I feed frozen reef frenzy daily so hopefully she'll start eating in the next day or two.

Enough typing...i'll post up some pictures shortly

Looking great. I can tell you've been to Aqua Hut. Love the Blue Star Leopard. I have one (for 2 years), one of my favorite fish! 

Thanks! Yeah the leopard wrasses are my favorite. I had a meleagris leopard before moving down here. Been looking into ordering a blue star and happen to find a healthy specimen local 👍👍😁😁

Bump...this thread needs an update :).

I was actually just fixing to update it! A member (Will W.) came over and helped me mount a floating canopy over my tank. Wanted to add t5's to supplement my Radion, so I built the canopy to hide them. I think it came out really well!

image_zpsdbemtcjq.jpg

image_zpsu2yopjq6.jpg

On the downside, the leopard lasted just over a week before my melanurus decided he didn't like him being around...chased him to death. Literally :/

That's a cool, industrial look you achieved there!

Is the third leg just for support to keep the canopy from sagging, or, is it screwed into a stud in the wall the same as the other two legs are, via that wood brace?

Wish I could take credit for the idea..but I just copied Will's setup! Ha it worked out well though..was able to hide all wires through the large pipe in the center