MockandRoll

MockandRoll Reefer 170 (40g)

A few months ago I broke down my 90g so my family and I could move to San Antonio. I wasn't expecting to setup another tank until we found the home we wanted. However, I got the itch, found a great deal on craigslist (tank, light, return pump, skimmer, reeflink) and got approval from my landlord.  I have been working on it for about a month. I did slight modifications such as use a seaswirl for the return.  I started cycling about 10 days ago and I have a small bacteria bloom. Let me know what yall think. 

fe48b426-e5f5-41a2-8e9c-fbc07ffe58be_zps

20161021_163445_zpstomnhxim.jpg

20161021_163512_zpskpmq6ygs.jpg

20161021_163519_zps6g8bhqse.jpg

20161021_163536_zpsnhutuwuy.jpg

20161021_163606_zpsaxpymx4a.jpg

20161021_163626_zpsynfnryma.jpg

28 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Some serious epoxy skills at work, looking good. What's the stock plan?

I mostly used macrorock E-400 until I ran out and had to finish with 2 part plumbers epoxy.  For stocking, I am thinking mostly encrusting corals with 1 colony of acans, blastos and candy cane each and zoas going up the arch. For inverts I want to go shrimp heavy with pederson, bruun, skunk, and fire. I will also be getting one serpent star and one conch with the usual snails.  For fish, I want to go light and I don't really know yet. Maybe a chromis and clown. I have been looking for a bright colorful fish that stays away from small inverts, will like the back and forth of the seaswirl and will do well in a small tank but can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?

You have no idea how happy I am to see this thread! I'm also pleased to see you will be doing a nice section of zoas in this tank too. Those should look great on the arch. That 'scape is freakin awesome!

10 hours ago, TheGrimmReefer said:

Nice scape work, for sure! Love the stand, too. 

7 hours ago, Reef Tank Greg said:

You have no idea how happy I am to see this thread! I'm also pleased to see you will be doing a nice section of zoas in this tank too. Those should look great on the arch. That 'scape is freakin awesome!

Thanks for the compliments! I am currently designing a side compartment to store by ato, dosing containers and electronics.

5 hours ago, kirk_m said:

Looks great...except for the fire hazard to the right of the stand, LOL :)

Ys, it looks pretty bad but I am working on it. The cabinet I am building should keep everything dry. I am also using a gcfi outlet. 

On 10/21/2016 at 6:22 PM, MockandRoll said:

For fish, I want to go light and I don't really know yet. Maybe a chromis and clown. I have been looking for a bright colorful fish that stays away from small inverts, will like the back and forth of the seaswirl and will do well in a small tank but can't seem to find one. Any suggestions?

Man that's a sweet little tank! I like the rockwork and the hybrid light!

I had a fathead sunburst anthias that was really cool small fish. Only problem is they recommend 70g min tank size...  I've had a Pink-Streaked Wrasse for a few yrs now. It's a neat little fish that will greet me when I walk up to the tank.  Another small fish I plan to get in the future is either a Pygmy wrasse or the White-Banded Possum wrasse. They do well in nano tanks from what I've read... Maybe check into some of these wrasses. You'd def need a screen top if you go that route though...

34 minutes ago, mknightryder said:

Man that's a sweet little tank! I like the rockwork and the hybrid light!

I had a fathead sunburst anthias that was really cool small fish. Only problem is they recommend 70g min tank size...  I've had a Pink-Streaked Wrasse for a few yrs now. It's a neat little fish that will greet me when I walk up to the tank.  Another small fish I plan to get in the future is either a Pygmy wrasse or the White-Banded Possum wrasse. They do well in nano tanks from what I've read... Maybe check into some of these wrasses. You'd def need a screen top if you go that route though...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do some research on those fish.

12 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

Ys, it looks pretty bad but I am working on it. The cabinet I am building should keep everything dry. I am also using a gcfi outlet. 

Good call on confining the fire to a cabinet! ;)

:smiley-scared008:

• Haha 1

My new tank has been up for about 5 months now. It seems like I have been adding equipment and coral every week. Since my last update I have 1) added two more T5s and now have 1 Radion 3G Pro and 4 T5s, 2) adding the new apex and dos pumps, 3) added two more jabeo powerheads to each side/back of the tank, 4) added a co2 scrubber, 5) added a nitrate reactor (can't figure out why, I only feed twice a week and nitrates are always between 5-10), 6) added a 10g ATO, 7) added two benches to hold the ATO and apex equipment and most importantly 8) added 23 corals (have lost 3 so far), a green mandarin (1 month and looking good!), and two shrimp (fire, cleaner/skunk). Enjoys the pics.

20170310_160300-01_zpsodq06i3l.jpeg

20170310_160310-02_zpsxumfcaem.jpeg

20170310_160416-01_zpsljpeddzx.jpeg

20170310_160409-01_zpsqij3vsez.jpeg

20170310_160355-01_zpsjjmggcvj.jpeg

20170310_160337-01_zpsuh57fdcv.jpeg

20170310_153345-01_zpswv9jrbmz.jpeg

20170309_172933-01_zpsjbpjdpzs.jpeg

20170309_172901-01_zpsp9sykoui.jpeg

20170309_172857-01_zpsgd57lylx.jpeg

20170310_154042-01_zps8vrgwg5s.jpeg

20170310_153558-01_zpsk2tnf0b0.jpeg

Edited by MockandRoll
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stoned said:

Nice tank. Corals are looking good. What do you have in the 3 reactors?

The reactor outside the sump (far left) is the CO2 scrubber (soda lime) that is hooked to the skimmer air intake, the second reactor (first one on left in the sump) is for gfo/carbon and the last one (far right) is a nitrate reactor (kent marine nitrogen sponge). The nitrate reactor has only been installed for 10 days but takes about 30 before it starts to reduce nitrates due to bacteria growth.

I thought people who are battling low pH might find this useful. I added a CO2 scrubber because my pH has been low since setup. My pH range was 7.75-7.95 before the scrubber and now I am hoping it will consistently staying above 8. I know everyone says not to chase a pH number but evidence is starting to suggest low pH (below 7.8) does inhibit growth, even with corals being able to regulate their internal pH. I could not add a line from outside due to tank placement and pesticide spraying. My lights are on from noon-8pm and the graph is marked when the CO2 scrubber went online.

CropperCapture5_zps56zkd362.png

Edited by MockandRoll
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, TheGrimmReefer said:

Nice. Mine seems to run around 8.2. 

Looks like you're getting some good growth on those frags. 

The CO2 scrubber has only been online for 4 days so don't know effect on growth yet but I have had to almost double my daily 2-part dose since the increase in pH. 

17 minutes ago, kirk_m said:

How often will you have to replenish the soda lime?  I had heard it gets burned up rapidly.

I don't know. I am hoping for 6 wks. At that rate I can get a years supply for $50.00 from BRS.  I have read air and gas has 5 gal. buckets for cheaper. 

On 3/14/2017 at 10:02 PM, MockandRoll said:

I don't know. I am hoping for 6 wks. At that rate I can get a years supply for $50.00 from BRS.  I have read air and gas has 5 gal. buckets for cheaper. 

I changed out the soda lime on my CO2 scrubber today. I got 5 weeks out of it.