kirk_m

Hanging an ATI sunpower

I am really dreading this task.  I really don't want to put holes in the ceiling of my brand new house, but, it's the only way to use this fixture on an open top tank.  Any tips would be appreciated regarding how to make absolutely sure I am putting the holes in the correct place.   Plumbob? Laser?

I'd ask @Reef Tank Greg's advice, but, he usually falls through the ceiling when doing these kinds of things, lol :)

Edited by kirk_m

Could always build a wooden or metal support that the stand supports if you don't want to put holes in ceiling. L shaped support off the back of the stand or U shaped support that ties to each side of the stand.

The way I hung mine was to place the fixture on top of the tank on top of a few 2x4's where I wanted the fixture to hang. Put some tape on the ceiling and started pulling the cables up and figured out where the 2 holes needed to be. Drilled the holes and didnt hit a stud on either cable. I then went up in the attic and installed some blocking. Didnt take long at all. Let me know if you need help when it comes time. I would be glad to help you. 

There's two ways I've used:  

1) Use long wooden dowels from Home Depot taped securely to each of the four corners of the tank (the dowels should extend all the way from the top of the tank to the roof), which will give you the corner outline of the tank on the ceiling you can mark. 

-or-

2) Grab about 10 feet of light weight fishing line with a heavy sinker.  Hold the fishing line up to the ceiling and let the sinker hang directly over a corner of the tank (the weight will pull the string straight down and give you a true line), and mark the ceiling with the corner location when the weight sits directly over top the corner.  Repeat on the other corners. 

Once you have the corners marked using either one of those methods, you can just mark out the full outline using blue painters tape.  Then you can measure the sides of your outline and mark the halfway point (halfway front to back) where the holes should go.  

Edited by Coral Cove NOLA

On 9/9/2017 at 3:37 PM, wiltzlan said:

You could've called me to help.  You know I'm light on my feet.

It's getting like the Sixth Sense around here all of a sudden. Do y'all see him too?

Can't beat a plumb bob or laser for being true, I find it easier with the tank in place and some cushion on the bottom pane for safety. Use some stainless steel, aluminum rods and that should blend with the aluminum fixture and not look bad with stainless appliances if you're going that route. Use two ladders, one on each side the tank and a 2 x 12 to stand on over the tank.