vertigo

Fragniappe 2018

10 hours ago, mrmaytagg said:

Why keep posting when you end up talking to yourself? There are many mists that get 1 to 2 replies.

We get it. As staff and directors, we tried for the longest time on this medium but were only talking to ourselves. When we utilize other mediums, we get lots of interaction. Social media is a far cry from forums but for us it is simply thriving and allows for the fun in interacting with large numbers of fellow hobbyists in our area.

We get it. As staff and directors, we tried for the longest time on this medium but were only talking to ourselves. When we utilize other mediums, we get lots of interaction. Social media is a far cry from forums but for us it is simply thriving and allows for the fun in interacting with large numbers of fellow hobbyists in our area.
I completely understand the shift to social media. It is the world that we live in. Social media is where people are gathering now. I mean fortune 500 companies are putting more resources into social media than websites. Im not knocking the staff for embracing it. Actually I applaud you all for resisting the urge to resist change.

Just for me, personally I am not a social media guy. Been down that road and exited. I know as a 30 somethings, it's usually unheard of, but deep down I'm like 70. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, mrmaytagg said:

Just for me, personally I am not a social media guy. Been down that road and exited. I know as a 30 somethings, it's usually unheard of, but deep down I'm like 70. emoji23.png

Yes! We resisted a long time. The month after we embraced social media with a Facebook group, we had over 70 people at our next meet. 

Really, without social media we would not have been so successful with all we have done. From five years of Fragniappe to MACNA in Nola. That said, you don't typically get those meaningful exchanges of information there like you do on the forums.

Can I please be a thirty-something too?

Yes! We resisted a long time. The month after we embraced social media with a Facebook group, we had over 70 people at our next meet. 

Really, without social media we would not have been so successful with all we have done. From five years of Fragniappe to MACNA in Nola. That said, you don't typically get those meaningful exchanges of information there like you do on the forums.

Can I please be a thirty-something too?
Sure. I just stopped being a 20 something a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fragniappe has never been announced on this forum. Why? Unless I"m getting really old and missed it. So all the people that don't do Facebook may never know it will happen this year. You are leaving out a whole bunch of possible attendees.  I'm one of those people. You know, a long time ago in text, that I don't do facebook. How come Mods and Directors don't do much posting either? MACNA  has been over for 6 months. Greg, you created this. You and others put a bunch of time, effort and hard work into this. Just hate to see a good thing end.

Edited by stoned

53 minutes ago, stoned said:

Fragniappe has never been announced on this forum. Why? Unless I"m getting really old and missed it. So all the people that don't do Facebook may never know it will happen this year. You are leaving out a whole bunch of possible attendees.  I'm one of those people. You know, a long time ago in text, that I don't do facebook. How come Mods and Directors don't do much posting either? MACNA  has been over for 6 months. Greg, you created this. You and others put a bunch of time, effort and hard work into this. Just hate to see a good thing end.

Evolving, not ending.

And MACNA ended last month for us................. 

We have encouraged those who enjoy the forums to become staff members. You are one such person who such has been offered to. It's not something you have been interested in. The same goes for a few others. 

5 hours ago, Reef Tank Greg said:

We have encouraged those who enjoy the forums to become staff members. You are one such person who such has been offered to. It's not something you have been interested in. The same goes for a few others. 

I think the proper solution is less chiefs and more Indians :rollingyellow:

If we had more to moderate I would totally lend a hand, but I think you guys have all this activity covered.

Joe, facebook is the devil, it's been my mantra for as long as there has been facebook. BUT, I decided to give it a try once all the activity on the forums had ceased to exist.  I have to say, it's still the devil, but there is a sense of community beneath the likes and replies.  It's not as great as getting 50+ pages on on your build thread, or watching your post count rise and wearing it like a badge of honor. The way people are finding the hobby nowadays is through social media.  My wifes cousin is a prime example.  My wife posted pictures of our tank on facebook and her cousin saw the post.  After a bit of discussion through facebook with me, he now has a 90g reef in his living room.  It's all about making connections. We need guys like you on there to show these newbies how it's done.  Just me $0.02

• Like 1