Sign in to follow this  
joiningsession

Aquascape thoughts

Hey all, been a while since I had to tear down my old tank, but am back at it again after a couple years with a fluval 13. Tank has had water in it for a little bit now still in cycle stage but the more i look at my rock, the more im stuck in the middle on it. 

First off, the scape is very stable and epoxy was used on 75% of it and has a wide base under the sand that isn't really visible. But I'm kinda stuck on thinking there are too many breaks in the rock or a place or two that looks like a rock was just played on top. Think this would go away with time and when the reef starts to fill up?  Just looking for thoughts on the rockwork. Tell me if you like it, don't like it. What you might change etc. I have always like the minimalistic look more than rock wall to wall. And also just to give an idea, the tank will be beginner sps mid to top, Los, so as etc bottom.

Any input is appreciated.

20180303_220830.jpg

20180303_220906.jpg

The scape looks really well done. I tend to think in terms of fish though and know they enjoy swimming in and out of the rocks. Along those lines, I may move the smaller rock island forward a little in the tank. 

I also have the same tank.  I built my scape like a large arch.  2 rock islands bridged by an arched piece of rock.  Now that it is really covered in coral and coraline it looks really nice.  

This was a few months ago.  Things have changed a bit, like i rearranged some things and took out some of the skeletons I had in there to see if they were going to come back, just cleaned it up a bit.  

IMG_20180117_203339338.jpg

I tend to go VERY minimalistic, but it's becauseI know how much healthy SPS can fill in a tank very quickly.  If you're going with SPS, beginner or not, I would suggest more of a "stadium" type rock scape or an arch like the pic above.  The steep drop offs on your original scape will limit the amount of SPS you can add high up, and the ones you add later potentially lower down will have their light blocked by the more established corals above.