kirk_m

Kirk’s 350-ish build

@kirk_m  Tank is looking good!  Glad you got everything rolling with the new tank..  I've got one frag of mint pavona sitting on my racks, if you're interested.  Also, check into bacteria dosing to help "balance" out the tank.  When I've had issues with tanks doing generally odd things, adding some different types of bacteria seems to help (in some cases).  Dr. Tim's refresh and the sludge buster are some that come to mind, as well as "life source" made by aquaforest.  Just my $0.02.

Time for an update.   The tank is coming up on 1 year old since starting it.  I have a bunch of frags that I got from  members on the board here that are slowly growing out.  Not a lot to see.  I picked up a few items I was looking for over at Fragniappe, namely the Oregon blue tort and the ORA red planet.  I'm not so sure of what the direction of this tank will be, meaning, I am probably not going to pack it full of everything out there.  I think I am just going to let all frags grow out to be massive colonies, with no more than 2 colonies per each rock.  Coral prices are obscene now as well, so, I don't see myself buying any of this high dollar stuff that costs $300/bugger.  Planning on taking some photos this weekend with a real camera, as the phone and reef tanks just don't seem to mix.

• Like 2

So, I did my first water test in a year.  Alk and Ca++ are both high, so, I tuned down the dosers.  Here are a few pictures.  I'd like to upload more, but, having no internet really sucks for large image uploads.  I have to tether my phone to my computer, and, since I only get 1-2 LTE bars out here, data transfers are excruciating.  Now I remember why I don't do any updates.  This is like dealing with modem dialup back in the early 90s, as these photos will probably take an hour to upload.

IMG_7300.thumb.jpg.35e249769154ea9cc2c7e40a0840cf80.jpg

IMG_7283.jpg

IMG_7282.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7293.jpg

IMG_7261.jpg

IMG_7263.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7310.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7270.jpg

IMG_7271.jpg

IMG_7279.jpg

IMG_7315.jpg

IMG_7310.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good Kirk...I can relate with the internet issues...our only option is Hughes Net...we can't have more than 2 people in my household on the net otherwise it freezes.  Have you had any Rock Nem spawns?

• Like 2

Looking good Kirk...I can relate with the internet issues...our only option is Hughes Net...we can't have more than 2 people in my household on the net otherwise it freezes.  Have you had any Rock Nem spawns?

Nope, no spawns. I lost a few nice ones prior to the transfer, and just in the last week, a couple more have disappeared. No clue where they went. They were looking great prior to starting to walk and then disappear below the rocks.

Hughes isn’t even an option. No way I’m paying over $100 a month for 25 gigs of data use prior to them throttling you to 600kilobit speeds (some “unlimited” plan they’ve got there).

Slowly...  things just don't seem to grow as rapidly as I remember them doing, and I have lost some stuff due to equipment failures.  I haven't added any new livestock, so, nothing really to show.  Since I don't have internet out here, uploading pictures is a real pain to transfer from the camera, to a laptop,then have the laptop use my phone as its internet connection (which is slow as hell).  I'd probably update more if not for that.

On 8/30/2019 at 10:59 AM, kirk_m said:

Slowly...  things just don't seem to grow as rapidly as I remember them doing, and I have lost some stuff due to equipment failures.  I haven't added any new livestock, so, nothing really to show.  Since I don't have internet out here, uploading pictures is a real pain to transfer from the camera, to a laptop,then have the laptop use my phone as its internet connection (which is slow as hell).  I'd probably update more if not for that.

Why are you out of internet? Lacombe isn't that far into the sticks......😏

On 9/1/2019 at 11:28 AM, saltyfish808 said:

Why are you out of internet? Lacombe isn't that far into the sticks......😏

Because I am just out of range for AT&T & Charter to bring cable down the street.  Too far from the last relay station, which is not even 1/4 mile from me, or some such bullBAD WORD.  

I've called so many times, it's now just a waste of breath.  Charter offered to run the cable, if I'd pay construction costs -- of $30,000, to which I said "are you effing joking?"  I told them I had been a customer at my 

previous two addresses for 20+ years, and, that didn't matter much to them. 

Updated photos from today, September 7, 2019.  Things are nicely colored and growing slowly.

747D9806-2C18-4BC1-B5F2-637F2E7808CA.jpeg

361111EA-E4CF-4BE0-A96E-BBEAD873A70E.jpeg

FBF683E3-CDB0-4F90-95DF-D65CBA9D1CA3.jpeg

3FF53511-F7B4-4D7A-9D33-8C5AFB80E919.jpeg

D1E42EDC-9848-4FB3-A92D-5BAF299EDC51.jpeg

EEF3C5DF-6B54-4F4B-BE3F-CA15DE1C7890.jpeg

8EBEFE9D-3EE4-4884-8CC7-C7D4A25BA1D4.jpeg

47144275-1593-4F53-9ADE-07615A4FAFFC.jpeg

3DFDFF52-DCD6-4320-A02D-1F4F57996821.jpeg