Reef Tank Greg

Greg's 360 Peninsula Build

Wow, it has been a long time since I have done a tank build! In fact, the last one was in 2009! But now is the time! I will use this thread to track progress of the build. Here's what i have in the works so far:

• Custom 72" x 48" x 24"  360 Gallon Peninsula Aquarium. The tank will be built by Reef Aquaria Design out of Fort Lauderdale. More info to come soon on this beauty!
  • Custom stand built by Brandon May of B's Woodworking (aka our club president salyfish808)!
  • Two ATI Sirus x8 LED fixtures. Not to be confused with the T5/LED hybrids. I have these already and have them running over my existing tanks for now. Absolutely loving them so far.
  • Crystal Reef Aquatics Stealth SRS60 Sump. This is a 60" x 22" x 16" sump and is being built for me within the next couple of weeks. 
  • Vertex Alpha 250 protein skimmer. I have been running this on my 250 for years and it's a beast. I am hopeful it will be sufficient for this tank. It's rated for 200 to 450 gallon tanks.
  • Geos Reef CR612X2 dual chamber calcium reactor. This will suffice for the short-term, but I will have to see how it works out long term as it's only rated for up to 300 gallons. It's been in service on my current tank for a couple of years. 
  • Two Vortech MP60 quiet drive pumps and two Vortech MP40 quiet drive pumps. These pumps are currently in use on my existing tanks. 
  • Reef Octopus VarioS-8 DC controllable pump. Soon to be ordered. Very well reviewed pump, looking forward to it. 
  • Neptune Apex Controller system with two energy bars. Have been using this for a couple of years to control both of my tanks. One thing I really like with this is I have a small tablet affixed to side of stand that allows me a quick glance at everything and easy controls access.

More to come soon!

• Like 2

Nice dimensions, really sweet looking light...I had a quote from a guy in Miami I think, Tankme, that looked to do really good work. Didn't hear about Reef Aquaria Design, going to check their site. Looking forward to following your build...

2 hours ago, ericd000 said:

Post up them light pics!

Here are a few for you. Unlike typical LED fixtures, these are not chock full of diodes. ATI's claim with the older powermodule fixtures was that the silver coated reflectors intensified the T5 lighting.

The same logic applied here. The diodes are in small recessed silver coated reflectors. So far I am impressed. Each fixture is 580 watts total. 

Here are some pics. Including one of how my 250 looks with just one fixture. 52" x 14" fixture over a 60" x 36" tank. 

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190820161156377_COVER.jpg

IMG_20190820_161038.jpg

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190820161139960_COVER.jpg

IMG_20190820_161251.jpg

2 minutes ago, Reef Tank Greg said:

Back off! It's finally my turn again for a build!

*Gives Greg the side eye from the corner*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reef Tank Greg said:

Back off! It's finally my turn again for a build!

I hope it doesn't take as long as Eric's. or Kirk's for that matter. I'm getting old and don't have that kinda time.

Edited by 110reef
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, 110reef said:

I hope it doesn't take as long as Eric's. or Kirk's for that matter. I'm getting old and don't have that kinda time.

Yeah, yeah Ken.

• Haha 1

Nice...always wanted to a peninsula style tank, but, and would probably have done it as such in my new house...but, alas, spousal approval was at an all time low then :)

Am I seeing that there are extra pieces of glass on the corners for support? Have not seen that type of construction before.

Edited by 110reef

12 minutes ago, 110reef said:

Am I seeing that there are extra pieces of glass on the corners for support? Have not seen that type of construction before.

Yes, mainly over the silicone seams as protection. It's 1/8" starphire strips.

• Like 1

Here's a closeup of that. Notice the inside is a triangular  shaped piece to not only protect but avoid a true 90 degree corner. Supposedly helps with flow when water hits the corner.

image.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kirk_m said:

Nice...always wanted to a peninsula style tank, but, and would probably have done it as such in my new house...but, alas, spousal approval was at an all time low then :)

It's safe to say what you ended up with is something to be proud of. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Reef Tank Greg said:

Yes, mainly over the silicone seams as protection. It's 1/8" starphire strips.

Looks like great sturdy construction.

Wondering why they would use starphire there, since it is unlikely that you can see much if anything through that section of the tank.

Edited by 110reef