Drained the 75 and added sand and a partial scape with the new rock was done this afternoon. The rock in my 40B is nearly 2 years old and will be used on the right side. Of course we all know things are subject to change when I actually transfer everything. I’m going to do my best to match water parameters with the old system and with a little luck I might get the tank transferred this weekend. Excited and super nervous.

b6bf7405-ccfa-4480-bbe4-ac57a9934b72-jpeg.970372

Not the best pic, but here's the current scape on the 75... Not sure how I feel about it. It may just take some time for it to grow on me... It's just so different from what my 40B looked like.

img_5474-jpg.974311

The 40 for reference:

IMG_5246.jpg.23ed0948f13413e22cd360e41b9485f2.jpg

The frag tank deserves a cocktail every now and then... (benepets and coral frenzy)

Things are doing ok, not great. Lost several frags over the last month or two, but I’m guessing it’s the shocks of a new system. I’m pretty sure I’m running way less nutrients than what was in the 40. My Hanna checker died so I haven’t been able to test PO4 but I can’t get detectable levels of NO3 to save my life! I’m tossing around the idea of dosing nitrate in hopes that the colors bounce back on some of corals.

FE4F7156-655E-4601-845E-48DB2916192A.jpeg.153b170ae39b37129ed7e3940326e3e6.jpeg

Edited by Coastie Reefer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, saltyfish808 said:

On average, how much time would you say you spent in the frag shack daily?.......haha

Some days 15-20 minutes... some days 3+ hours.  If I had to guess it would average out to an hour or so a day.

Well... it’s time I come clean and let everyone in on the real reason behind the frag shack. Baby girl #2 due Oct 2nd

Since I'm copying and pasting this in sections from R2R this is a little behind the times...   we're scheduled to go in on Sept 16th! Three weeks from today!

6611116e-95c5-41ab-9355-ea9ef88e055d-jpeg.1050007

Since my spare 75g busted when I was drilling it for the overflow, I decided to start a new project... 

Instead of letting the 20" ESM overflow collect dust, or trying sell it, why not put it on the 20L I have taking up room. LOL

Who knows... one day momma might let the kids have a tank in the house and I'll be all set!

img_6056-jpg.1057505

img_6057-jpg.1057506

Traded a frag of Jack O Lantern for an old 4 bulb T5. It needed some TLC but it turned on and the control panel/timer worked perfectly. I wish I had a better before pick, but this thing was full of old salt creep. Like 1/4" square crystals... imagine straight up rock salt.

Anyway, disassembled the light as much as I could, completely gutted it to be honest. Cleaned out all the salt, wiped down and "buffed" the reflectors, wire brushed the corroded aluminum, sanded the rusted parts, spray painted with a flat enamel, then put it back together. Honestly turned out pretty decent considering I did it in a single Saturday afternoon...

It is missing a leg, but a coral frenzy jar is the perfect height LOL... I'm looking for a hanging kit so it shouldn't matter anyway.

EDIT: Open to 4 bulb combo suggestions. Leaning towards 3 B+ and 1 Coral +, or maybe 2 B+, 1 Super Actinic, and 1 Coral +

IMG_5860.jpg

img_5871-jpg.1057676

IMG_5879.jpg

img_6033-jpg.1057689

I wish I had more to update, but not a lot has been going on, at least not the kind of stuff you want to share lol. It’s been one battle after another it seems. Had a nasty bout of dinos that put a hurting on a lot of my sps. Did a 4 day complete blackout and dosed nitrates up from 0 to 10 and it seemed to completely disappear. Currently I’m dealing with a decent bubble algae outbreak, so I got a small army of emeralds and a one spot foxface to try and battle it naturally before I move on to something like vibrant.

The 20 long is currently being used as a holding tank for a buddy that’s moving back down to south Louisiana. It’ll be another month or so before it’s vacant, but the rock I got for it has been cooking in a brute storage container and has completed its initial cycle. Considering I’m wanting to do 100% sps in the 20l I’m not adding s single frag till the new rock is decently covered in coralline. I seeded it with coralline from my buddy’s tank, probably a good heaping tablespoon full shavings.

That said, the shack itself did get an upgrade this past weekend. Built a 4x12 deck in the 92 degree Louisiana heat!!!

d33f90e2-e950-4b22-ae37-a243598eea7b-jpeg.1092649

f7496c76-dc60-4547-82aa-9dee2c92640c-jpeg.1092650

f54cbea0-a7be-4835-a85d-0324e548c90e-jpeg.1092651

There's been several changes and fish additions, but not so much coral. System is just starting to get over the shock of moving to it's new home (only took 6 months!!!). Had issues with 0 nutrients and sps fading and dying. I think it's getting to a point where I'm going to start adding more corals if I can get my hands on them... hard to find good SPS without having to drive a couple hours.

Here's a little update till I can post more. We just went on vacation a couple weeks ago so I added a couple wifi cameras to keep an eye on things while I was away. Just screenshot these off my phone not long ago.

Nano.png.e5b63f66d66d9651247f114b5fd58c1e.pngCam2.png.67eba0e4a369bd133cb338f9c7597c64.png

Right View.png

MT.png

Edited by Coastie Reefer

46 minutes ago, Reef Tank Greg said:

Can you get a permanent live feed setup for us in there? 

My current camera can't do that, as I believe it is app dependent.  Besides, if I did that everyone would see just how bad I am at keeping up on maintenance. 😉

39 minutes ago, Coastie Reefer said:

My current camera can't do that, as I believe it is app dependent.  Besides, if I did that everyone would see just how bad I am at keeping up on maintenance. 😉

+1 on live feed plus a mic so we can talk to ya at the same time 🤣

• Like 1