Arkaeus

Ark's 250g

This will be the creation of my 250.

I purchased the tank/cabinetry used, and have been working/modding this setup for the past 2 months.

I'm upgrading to this setup from my 90g (LPS,Softies)

Finally added salt to the water last night.

Equipment added from the 90-

Lights- 2 Radions. Will be placed at the left and right sides until I get a 3rd for the center in the future

Skimmer- BubbleMagus BM220-CS (aquabee4000)

JBJ Titanium Chiller 1/4 HP

Dual mp60's

Wave2k- Wave maker for the back center (ordering belts soon)

Apex Controller

ATO System hooked to RKL

BRS Dosing Pumps- Alk, Cal

Substrate- 200lbs TE ReefFlakes

LR- 200lbs (Purchased from ReefRocks)

LiveBacteria- DrTims one and only (already have LR but why not?)

It fits! (pics a little dark)

fa08ffbf.jpg

Tanks in

e6381045.jpg

Plumbing (to sump)

6c184879.jpg

Plumbing (to tank)

e8f3d18c.jpg

Ball Valve- Left to right.

1-Unknown 2- Unknown 3- 3/8 fitting will be connected to BRS GFO/Carbon reactor, then flow into the sump. Adjusting this valve will increase or decrease flow.

bf162e92.jpg

62d66cc5.jpg

Edited by Arkaeus

Off to a nice start! What's going on above the manifold? Looks like something got burned there.

Updated what ball valves are for. The previous tank owner had a piece of equipment there and it caught on fire is what I was told (Tanks beauty mark? rofl)

ATM return pump is a mag12

Edited by Arkaeus

de6eb8e0.jpg

Left to right. Dual 200micron Filter sock Mesh. Skimmer, probes, misc equip

6533ad73.jpg

Gravel and LR Fuge (This will be the only part of the sump with substrate)

89d30757.jpg

Macro Fuge, Mag12 return

067b248c.jpg

Edited by Arkaeus

Thoughts? Opinions on sump design?

In the last chamber I might have two pumps spinning the macro in a circle. Atm the water in the sump is 5" too high.

Putting the piece of LR in the sump has started a small cycle, am I correct?

Edited by Arkaeus

Thoughts? Opinions on sump design?

In the last chamber I might have two pumps spinning the macro in a circle. Atm the water in the sump is 5" too high.

Putting the piece of LR in the sump has started a small cycle, am I correct?

YOu need some kind of source of ammonia for the cycle to truly start...whether it comes from decaying matter like a dead shrimp, or from a live organism like a damsel fish.

YOu need some kind of source of ammonia for the cycle to truly start...whether it comes from decaying matter like a dead shrimp, or from a live organism like a damsel fish.

oh, definitely what kirk said. With a tank that large I didn't think you were new at this..... :embarrassed:

Hahahaa!! no worries guys, I just thought some die off from the LR would start some kinda "little" cycle. Checked my salinity from adding more salt and in goes a damsel into the sump =)

Cycle has started!!

Just food for thought, I think im going to wait to add DrTims one and only until I get the substrate in. Thinking more substrate more room for bacteria to grow?

Edited by Arkaeus

Dr. Tim's seemed to work well for Kelly on his big tank build...tank cycled in a week. Do you have your LR in the tank yet? If you don't, I think you are wasting the Dr. Tim's since the bacteria will have nothing to colonize. I'd probably ALSO turn off the skimmer during the time so that the bacteria doesn't get skimmed out when trying to keep it in the tank and on the rocks.

Edited by kirk_m

Yea Kirk, thats why I was saying im going to wait until I get the substrate in. Atm I only have a few pounds of substrate in that small section in the sump. A few days ago I was thinking about switching LR and livestock from the 90 to the 250 but Im just going to wait until the substrate is in and do it correct. DrTims is NOT CHEAP for big aquariums.... Ill add the substrate and let the cycle finish after a week. Once there is no ammonia, I'll switch everything over.

Every successful review I have read said not to run the skimmer for the first 48hrs. I'm going to do the same.

Just ordered the live version of TERF. No way im going to be able to wait a month for the 30lb bags. Got 200lbs. Woot!!! should be in next week! then its Drtims cycle time.

Edited by Arkaeus

Live version? I didn't know they made them in any form other than dry. Glad to hear you are on your way!

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/TE-03816LR20.html

It just comes in 20lb bags instead of 30lb

PA just contacted me, they had 7/10 of the live TERF. Shipping 7 and when the rest come in, they are shipping at no extra charge. I even called them letting them know I didnt realize when I placed my order they were running a Mday sale. They said no problem, and credited my purchse the 10%. Excellent response and service.

Edited by Arkaeus

Just ordered 100lbs of dead rock from ReefRocks.net. @85 $ per 50lbs they have the best prices atm. Great reviews from RC, we will see!

Fedex just stopped by the office!

addc3a14.jpg

This one makes 2!!!

91107977.jpg

Ark/Tapatalk

Edited by Arkaeus

Peeps! Do you think a mag24 will be okay for a return pump? Atm im using a mag12 but only one side of the overflow is overflowing. I really wanted a mag18 but I found a used mag24. Thoughts?

The return flow is dual 3/4" plumbing. Internal is dual 1"

If you need pics on how one is overflowing and one is not let me know!!

Edited by Arkaeus

I am not sure if that is a pump size issue there, Ark... is the tank LEVEL? Are the durso stand pipes at the same level inside the overflow boxes? If the tank is level, then, most likely the one that is NOT draining the tank has its Durso set HIGHER than the other.

With a tank that large I'd probably have gone with an external pump. I was under the impression the mag pumps were like heaters. I can't say for sure though since I've never used one.

I have a mag9 on the 90 and was using a mag12 on the skimmer and haven't really noticed a issue.. I put the mag12 on the 250, dont see an issue with heat but then again its not summer yet. Can anyone else who has a higher mag pump give advice? Im really curious now.. I dont want to buy the wrong thing. You guys think I even need more than a mag12? rem.. I have 2 mp60s for internal flow.

Kirk.. from what I see the tank isnt 100% level. Its not a huge difference but it is a difference. The side that's lower is the side draining (i know captain obvious) but it doesn't matter how low or high I put the durso... that's always the side that drains. Just doesn't seem right. maybe I need to make a short youtube vid.

That's an 8' long tank, so, 1/16" off level over an 8 foot span can be significant enough that the water level at the HIGH end of the tank can't get over the overflow box's strainer teeth.