Shadow1

What have you done for your tank this week?

Today is 50 gallon thru the skimmer water change day, new carbon. This is also my last week of Bayer dip going to do one dip of coral rx and see what happens have seen no bugs or damage for 2 plus weeks. So maybe I have killed them off.

What about you?

• Like 1

Replaced needle valve on regulator for calcium reactor. So far so good. Forgotten all about vinegar dosing on tank. Now looking to make vinegar dosing expensive by adding some sort of dosing pump.

Updated the firmware on my controller and dealing with the problems associated since then. FWIW, Neptune support has been awesome and very responsive. Plus Al was a huge help in troubleshooting before I contacted them.

Replaced needle valve on regulator for calcium reactor. So far so good. Forgotten all about vinegar dosing on tank. Now looking to make vinegar dosing expensive by adding some sort of dosing pump.

I forgot about that, ran out of CA so had to mix up and reset doser then test levels to make sure everything still in line. Then start new 50 gallon mix of salt water. Not bad by 8 AM, think I'll take the bike out today....I really don't want to fool with the tank anymore today.

gonna vaccum the sand and do about a half gallon water change on my office nano before I leave today. Mixed up some salt last night for a 5 gallon water change on the 40 breeder to do a water change tonight. Last night I siphoned detritus off the bottom into the filter sock.

Tested my params, increased my Ca/Alk dosing amounts 30mL, cleaned the glass, dosed fuel twice, spot fed SPS with experimental food from PA, pruned out some of the chaeto in the sump, cleaned my filter pad, super glued and epoxied some aiptasia. Now I can hear sort of a ringing noise through the silencer of my skimmer. I'm assuming it needs to be cleaned since I only did it once last year. I was going to do it last night, but put it off til tonight.

I am going to pick up my tank today from the glass shop. And then stare at it still empty for a while... I also stacked up some of my chemicals and salt and extra gear so we can walk through our storage unit!!!

Being homeless is a PITA.

Reinstalled the 6105 pump that I sent in for replacement due to the motor block going bad. Then clean all the other Tunzes, change out GFO, and restart the sulfur denitrator to get this mess of a tank back into shape.

Did a 25 gallon water change, changed the carbon, cleaned the other equipment, accidently fragged a coral when doing the water change, added a blue carpet anemone, soon to be removing the carpet and doing a cipro quarantine.

Care to elaborate?

He could mean a WETSKIM water change... if you close down your water outlet on the skimmer pretty much all the way and let it start overflowing into the collection cup and then into a waste collector or down the drain, you are essentially changing out some of the most heavily concentrated organics in your tank.

• Like 1

He could mean a WETSKIM water change... if you close down your water outlet on the skimmer pretty much all the way and let it start overflowing into the collection cup and then into a waste collector or down the drain, you are essentially changing out some of the most heavily concentrated organics in your tank.

Thats what i thought he meant, but wasnt sure. How long does that take? A couple hours??

What? Hours for a water change? Oh, hell no, lol.

Thats what i thought he meant, but wasnt sure. How long does that take? A couple hours??

Actually started at 4:30 and wrapped up about 7:45 but I pulled 50 gallons thru my skimmer, normally just swap out 30 gallons which is 10% .

This way I just hook a drain line to the skimmer and run it to the ditch and I have a hose system from my mixing station to refill with so I shut down ATO and keep the sump topped off every 15 or so min if the sump gets to low I just blow all kinds of micro bubbles but they clear up in short order.

• Like 1

I cannot believe I haven't thought of this. I do my water changes by placing my 20gal brute with new mix next to the tank. It would be super easy to put my ATO pump over in that barrel and skim wet into 5 gallon buckets. The ATO will keep it topped off and the skimmer can just skim its arse off!

This is genious!

I cannot believe I haven't thought of this. I do my water changes by placing my 20gal brute with new mix next to the tank. It would be super easy to put my ATO pump over in that barrel and skim wet into 5 gallon buckets. The ATO will keep it topped off and the skimmer can just skim its arse off!

This is genious!

If you mean you are going to use it DAILY (constant wet skimming), and let your ATO top off with freshwater, watch your salinity, as it is going to drop.

If you mean you are going to use it DAILY (constant wet skimming), and let your ATO top off with freshwater, watch your salinity, as it is going to drop.

Negative.. I mean wet skim to do water changes and just drop my ATO pump in the premixed barrel so I dont have to manually top it off every 15 mins like Shadow. When done just put my ATO pump back in the TO bucket. I had to sell my swabbie and skimmate locker so no wet skimming for me...Just have to clean the skimmer once a week.

I really like the idea of skimming for water change. I always blow on the rocks and stuff but I want to add skimming to that to get as much junk out as possible.

Edited by Phatboy

Update on my tank... Apex base unit and one EB8 has to be sent in to Neptune for further analysis and potential repair. Thank God that Al lives right up the street and works with them now. Got a backup base unit and EB8 up and running so I won't be missing a beat. Gotta love it! Thank you, yet again, Al!

Tested my params, increased my Ca/Alk dosing amounts 30mL, cleaned the glass, dosed fuel twice, spot fed SPS with experimental food from PA, pruned out some of the chaeto in the sump, cleaned my filter pad, super glued and epoxied some aiptasia. Now I can hear sort of a ringing noise through the silencer of my skimmer. I'm assuming it needs to be cleaned since I only did it once last year. I was going to do it last night, but put it off til tonight.

Add scraping the coralline off the back glass, removing the black background from my tank and cleaning it along with the outside of the back glass.