Shadow1

What have you done for your tank this week?

Today is 50 gallon thru the skimmer water change day.

I have done this. It's really an easy wy to change water if you are staying close to your tank. And the idea behind it is to get the dirtiest water possible.

As for what have I done for my tank??

I sold it!! :/. I was all for a bigger tank and now that my precious is gone, and this behemoth sets in my garage, I dunno. I may have bitten of more than I can chew.

It's only 40 or 50 more gallons. But I really don't want to have then problems I had before.. I geuss I will dive more into this in my build thread. When I decide to start it.

As of 6 AM I have done a 30 gal water change on the 125, 5 gallons on each of the 30's, and 50 gallons on the 300. Next up rescape.....

I am also going to post on the sale thread, the boss - owner of the tanks wants some fish GONE.

Done, Will post pics later, have sold the hippo, the 4 monos are in the 125, the Singapore was a SOB so is still in the 300. Just for fun what kind of clam you looking for? PM me.

ummm lets see installed my new lights have 4 HO T 5 super blues and 1HO T5 red wave and also 1 10k super daylight T5 also going to install my moon glow lights today took me from 9pm till 1:30 am to install all of these lights shure made a difference in the tank though might install one more T5 purple havent made my mind up yet lol

Can't believe i never heard of the water change using the skimmer. That is awesome. If anybody saw my other thread, i have a algae bloom like you have never seen before. So i nuked the whole system with magnesium yesterday. And did a water change a few days ago, which seemed to make the algae enjoy life even more.

Can't believe i never heard of the water change using the skimmer. That is awesome. If anybody saw my other thread, i have a algae bloom like you have never seen before. So i nuked the whole system with magnesium yesterday. And did a water change a few days ago, which seemed to make the algae enjoy life even more.
dude that sucks, are you using kent tech m I've been told there's something besides magnesium sulphate and magnesium chloride in it that kills the algae, what about a sea hare or maybe a dozen sea hares

dude that sucks, are you using kent tech m I've been told there's something besides magnesium sulphate and magnesium chloride in it that kills the algae, what about a sea hare or maybe a dozen sea hares

Yea Tobias suggested that i use Tech M so thats what im dosing. Im not sure if a sea hair would eat it or not. But with my high mag levels, im sure it kill the sea hair.

Yea Tobias suggested that i use Tech M so thats what im dosing. Im not sure if a sea hair would eat it or not. But with my high mag levels, im sure it kill the sea hair.

man wished I could help ya, I would be freaking out ;(

Nice, Jack. How well is it working so far?

I think its still in the break in period. A little noisy at first but not that bad. sits a little high. The skimmer it self seems very well built and fits perfect in the tank. I'm pre order for the reactor. Let you know about that one at the meet.

Updated my Apex firmware to the latest...I love the new interface (and, yes, I haven't calibrated the pH probes lately, so, they are not right).

apex_zps2e3569f1.jpg

Did a water change, changed out sock, carbon, GFO and cleaned out my skimmer cup. All and everything was running great........Then at 2am Thursday morning my son ran into our bed room saying Dad dad wake up something's wrong with your tank there's water all over the floor..... So at 2AM I found out that the inlet to my Coralife UV was broken. The pump running it dumped about 30 gallons of water on the livening room carpet. So I had to add another 30 gallons back to the tank. Still have to move this 110 gallon with out completley brakeing it down, replace carpet and put new drip pan under my stand. Then put it all back. Not the best week for me and my tank adventures.............Beautiful Aquarim that I enjoy every day $3,500+ New carpet $1000, my wife taking this like a pro staying cool and not killing me........PRICELESS.

Edited by Islandman

I have been messing with the tank a lot lately :) I got the Algae Scrubber up and running, no growth yet only 5 days in at this time. I ordered the new pump for the Skimmer and got that installed, working so much better. Our LFS owner has pretty much come to the conclusion that the bad motor on the Skimmer, might have been what caused my coral die off, but we really don't know. I did learn my lesson though. I built a control panel of sorts and got all the MP40s and battery backup moved to the other side of the sump. On the still to do list: I have to redo my new control panel :) I have decided after the fact that I want to move my Apex also, so I need to make room for that, its an easy fix, just a pain. I have a couple of wiring trays coming today to dress up all the wires running all over the place. I had to cut a hole in the back panel of the stand to move the MP40 controls to the other side of the stand. I made the cut with a jig saw, but because of the return line to the tank, the cut looks like %$#@ I got a piece of molding from Lowe's that will dress that up and make it look better. Also need to mount a piece of molding on the front and back side of the shelf for the Scrubber, will keep it from sliding around. I ordered a new NextReef reactor for my carbon, that should be in this week :) Everything I have been doing has been on the mechanical side of the tank, I am trying to work my way back into taking another shot at SPS corals, of course, every time I look at Jorge's tank on LARC, I think I want to go with a LPS tank :shrug::lol:

Lets see.... Added a 2 little fishies reactor with carbon(I love polished water) I added a bag with purigen, but apparently, it was not zip tied well. Had purigen all over the sump. So, I shut down the pump and removed EVERYTHING from the sump. sucked out the water and shop vac the rest of it along with the purigen mess. Took apart the return and the red dragon to make sure none of that crap made it into those. Cleaned the skimmer while I was at it. Cleaned the wetside of the MP40's, bought a BIG square back anthias, but he is not doing well. Put him in the acclimation box and we'll see.... :( . Had to change out 2 radions, but that was on a high note. My tank is still very new to me, so I'm farting with it every day. My 2 pieces of SPS are thriving, so I'm not overdoing it.... but close... lol

Lets see...

Started my biopellet reactor back up, with half of the recommended amount of pellets for my volume. Dosed Microbactr per instructions, and placed output closer to skimmer intake per recommendations

Ordered 20 (2 for 1) emerald crabs from Reefs2go along with 40 nerites. I have a massive GBA problem that I need to get a handle on before I feel good about the tank again.

Started weekly, now bi-weekly 30g water changes to get nutrients back in check.

Changed up placement of 2 MP40s to try to get better flow to the sandbed. (lowered and offset more)

Added a Avast Skimate locker a few months back, along with a Reef Octo neck cleaner.

Changing filter sock about twice a week now (not to self, need to order more)

Placed extra MP10 on fuge for extra circulation to keep detritus stired up

Removed a metric crap-ton of chaeto from fuge, placed in 10 gallon tank setup in garage for this.

Cleared out a bunch of old coral skeletons that were cluttering up the tank and making nice little places for GBA to nestle in and grow.

Changed up position of some rocks on sand bed to hopefully get better flow across the middle of the tank near the bottom. (hoping this keep cyano from coming back as quickly)

Added movable frag rack back to keep SPS off sandbed rack

Updated APEX a couple of weeks back. Like the new look.

That's about it for now. Going to buckle down this week and stay on top of testing water so I can bring dosing pumps online.

Edited by ericd000

I have decided that I will leave the tanks alone this week, just add water to the ATO and see where we are at. Have changed close to 100 gallons on the 300 in 2 weeks and rescaped half the tank along with pulling 7 large fish out and about 70 or 80 pounds of base rock. Cyno has been coming and going, po4 is steady at 1.0 so maybe these changes will begin to drop it.

This is a cool thread. I am jealous. And basically tankless

The 75 I have my coral in isn't mine so.... For now I just dream.....

Also I saw on larc where someone made a post with the header "what have you done for your tank this week". Lol.

This is a cool thread. I am jealous. And basically tankless

The 75 I have my coral in isn't mine so.... For now I just dream.....

Also I saw on larc where someone made a post with the header "what have you done for your tank this week". Lol.

So is this a good idea? Can it be pinned somehow? I think this thread has already shown some learning curves from some people. Me included.

Got in from a 11 day job, so last night I cleaned the glass, skimmer and Changed filter sock. I also added a light to the sump and a controller for my circulation pumps. still have alot to do to catch up.