Shadow1

What have you done for your tank this week?

I turned the light on! In all reality I have been neglecting my tank. It has been hard for me to get in the mood ever since I sold my 120. However today is the day I am going to kick my 29 back into shape.

38IM nuvo-Cleaned skimmer cup, top off Kalk mix. Clean glass alittle.

20g tall-seahorse tank, did a 2 gallon water change. Check parameters and nitrate is still a little high. I guess thats expected.

10g-just poored rodi water to top off and tossed snail in it to clean class.

time to go work in the yard now. wish I had a CuC for that

Did a small 20 gal water swap out of the 300 and into the 2 30's . Took a ride on the bike saw Lars at just fish. Got some glue and came home started setting things in the 300 where I want them and see how things go.

Did a full test PO4 is down a little, nitrate at less than 5, alk low ca high changed doser amounts by about 4 ml day on each.

changed socks a few times, dosed prodibio, tested nitrate every day, ordered new skimmer, added new reactor for carbon, and getting salt ready for 5g change tomorrow.

I am thinking about getting serious on the nitrate issue and doing a 5g change every day until they are under control.

Edited by Jstan84

Cleaned up the wires on my hood. Cleaned out the lines for my overflow. Added about 100ml to biopellet reactor. Tested CA ALK N MAG to make sure i am dosing propperly. Started dosing Potassium . Replaced old skimmer with Tunze skimmer. Cleaned Tunzie pumps. And drank about 2 cases of beer while doing this :partydance:

30 gallon water change

Siphoned top layer of sandbed

Changed filter sock

Tested water

Made initial plans on how to mount dosing pumps

Decided to move carbon reactor from under stand for easier access

Turned off GFO reactor to see how well biopellets are working

Edited by ericd000

Today I have checked all levels, and now am cleaning MP60's and MP40's forgot what a PITA they are to do. Going to go later and get some pods for the 300. Got to fill up ATO too other than that I am going to sit and watch everything wake up as the lights come up today. That's what this hobby,is about just sit with a Bloody Mary or a Mint Julep and relax.........

I did a 25 gallon WC on the 150. I vacuumed the sand for the first time. Lots of nasty stuff. 10 gallon WC in the 29. Water tested both. I am VERY impressed with my results from my VSV dosing. I'm up to 3ml twice a day and over the past 3 weeks my phos levels have gone from .4 to .12.

120:

20 gallon water change, took the shopvac to the sump to get all the detritus out of the return section. Switched out my Eheim 1262 pump, which needed a cleaning desperately, to my Ocean Runner 3500 that I alternate between during service.

90 gallon: 10 gallon water change, moved some corals around. Started cycling some dry rock (I had lying around from the 400 gallon system) outside in water from the water change from the 120, as I have found no way to eradicate the aiptasia plague in this tank.

5 gallon: 1 liter water change, moved all the maxi mini nems to the 3 gallon.

3 gallon: 1 liter water change, bought a Fluval SEA fixture (full spectrum) I saw at Adventure Pets. It does not have enough blue in it, so, it is being returned. It is a shame, because they were definitely on the right track with the extra color LEDs, but, the mix of colored to white is still 50/50. IMO, the whites should have been no more than 1/3 of the total diodes. I placed one of my SOL blues on top of it on very low settings, and it looks great. I might buy an AI Nano for it.

Changed the filter sock

Been monitoring Alk & Cal more to set baseline so I can start up the dosing pumps

Checked calibration on dosing pumps to verify the flow rate

Mounted dosing pumps

Consolidated and rearranged some outlets on Apex to free up spots for dosing pumps and other items

Replaced pH & ORP probe as the old one wasn't calibrating correctly anymore

Purchased and mounted webcam for the tank

Purchased and connected Apex Lunar Simulation module with 5 string lights

Built bast stand for new mixing station in garage and purchased PVC & fittings to work on this week.

Thursday did a 1 gallon water change Sunday as well. Had to take out three of my rocks and scrub them with a toothbrush to try and get rid of some hair algae. Hopeing it doesnt come back. Cleaned my filter and added more carbon. Stopped and enjoyed what i created. :)

Thursday did a 1 gallon water change Sunday as well. Had to take out three of my rocks and scrub them with a toothbrush to try and get rid of some hair algae. Hopeing it doesnt come back. Cleaned my filter and added more carbon. Stopped and enjoyed what i created. :)

Wow someone who actually stops and admires their tank :partydance:

• Like 1

Really intended to clean glass and let things alone today, but got up to micro bubbles coming from one return so............

Replumbed and still had bubbles, finally found the issue return rate has increased with the new plumbing and had lowered sump levels by about 1/2 inch just enough to pull a little air. Shut down everything below the tank pulled everything out of the sump cleaned the skimmer and all of the pumps put in new GFO and Carbon put it all back together after a 40 gallon water change and raised the sump level back up.

No more bubbles maybe tomorrow I'll sit and watch, After the crawfish boil.

After running silently since 2006, my 120's overflow started to get noisy. Sucking air in from somewhere, and, I could see the overflow box's water level fall and rise. So, I pulled out the durso and cleaned the air inlet, soaked the whole thing in acid to clean off all the lime deposits, pulled all the plumbing below it that could also be soaked, and reinstalled. Did it fix the problem? Nope! It still surges and sounds like a bathtub draining every so often.

I also noticed my skimmer has been pulling virtually nothing the last month or so. I disassembled everything, soaked the whole thing, nice clean skimmer now. Has there been an increase in skimmate production? Nope!

End result: a couple of wasted hours.