Shadow1

What have you done for your tank this week?

Were the hours really wasted? You now know skimmer being dirty wasn't the cause and that lime build up isn't the cause. It will be simple once you find the issue.

My list for today:

1- Figure out why I can't shut the return pump off thru the Apex from my Deck top.

2- Clean the Algae Scrubber Screen

3- Take the Bio Pellet Reactor off line (am running PO 4X4 in it) I have someone that is going to trade me a box of salt for the reactor :)

4- Install the New NexReef Reactor , will be running GFO in this reactor

5- Give the MP 40's a Vinegar Bath,,, I know just the Wet Side :)

6- Do a water change in the tank

7- I picked up the other Battery Back Up for the second MP 40 need to get those wires hid in the cable trays

8- Figure out some place to mount the two Transformers for the Algae Scrubber

9- Last on the list: Go to the Apex Users Guide I have down loaded on the puter, do some reading on how to install the Alga Scrubber lights into the Apex.

I have a question about the Algae Scrubber lights: I have two plugs coming off the Algae Scrubber's LED lights, one for each side. Can I plug these lights into an duel plug extension cord and then plug that extension cord into the Apex? That would keep me from having to use two outlets on the Apex, both lights will have the same starting and ending times.

I have a question about the Algae Scrubber lights: I have two plugs coming off the Algae Scrubber's LED lights, one for each side. Can I plug these lights into an duel plug extension cord and then plug that extension cord into the Apex? That would keep me from having to use two outlets on the Apex, both lights will have the same starting and ending times.

Yup, I do this for a couple of items on my tank to save outlets.

10 gallon water change

cleaned skimmer cup/changed out filter sock

added topoff water

fed fish

changed out gfo in reactor

cleaned glass

checked in on corals/inhabitants

had wall hammer disintegrate....

After running silently since 2006, my 120's overflow started to get noisy. Sucking air in from somewhere, and, I could see the overflow box's water level fall and rise. So, I pulled out the durso and cleaned the air inlet, soaked the whole thing in acid to clean off all the lime deposits, pulled all the plumbing below it that could also be soaked, and reinstalled. Did it fix the problem? Nope! It still surges and sounds like a bathtub draining every so often.

I also noticed my skimmer has been pulling virtually nothing the last month or so. I disassembled everything, soaked the whole thing, nice clean skimmer now. Has there been an increase in skimmate production? Nope!

End result: a couple of wasted hours.

Turn off the tunze's. They are causing a surge to the overflow box. Making a wave does this. I think you stated you have the powerhead out of the wave box.

40 gal breeder frag tank

10 gal water change, scraped off coraline, cleaned pumps in vinager.

210 gal display tank

Added GFO reactor that was on the old tank

Turn off the tunze's. They are causing a surge to the overflow box. Making a wave does this. I think you stated you have the powerhead out of the wave box.

I thought this, and did just that. It still makes the surge. I have been making a wave in here for months though with none of that surging.

My list for today:

1- Figure out why I can't shut the return pump off thru the Apex from my Deck top.

2- Clean the Algae Scrubber Screen

3- Take the Bio Pellet Reactor off line (am running PO 4X4 in it) I have someone that is going to trade me a box of salt for the reactor :)

4- Install the New NexReef Reactor , will be running GFO in this reactor

5- Give the MP 40's a Vinegar Bath,,, I know just the Wet Side :)

6- Do a water change in the tank

7- I picked up the other Battery Back Up for the second MP 40 need to get those wires hid in the cable trays

8- Figure out some place to mount the two Transformers for the Algae Scrubber

9- Last on the list: Go to the Apex Users Guide I have down loaded on the puter, do some reading on how to install the Alga Scrubber lights into the Apex.

Well, when I look at the list, it seems I got very little of it done :) I didn't get 1 2 7 8 and 9 done. It took a half a day and several trips to Lowe's to get the NexReef reactor up and running. It seems, as is usely the case, when I deal with my Manifold, that the hoses to what ever I am trying to plug into it don't seem to be the same size as the Manifold so I had to make a PVC contraption to get it to work, its up and running though. I had to make two contraptions though because I also have the NexReef Shorty Reactor coming this week to run Carbon, I ordered it thru the LFS, takes longer to get that way, but I like giving him the Bussiness. The manifold is set up for it now though and it should go online pretty quick. I think that when I get everything that needs to be hooked up to my Manifold, that I can take it apart and make another one and have better looking PVC fittimgs connected to it. Kinda looks jury rigged right now, but it still dosn't look that bad. I am starting to think that I really need to get a Apex Pro over to the house to deal with this Apex, its seems like one dead end after another, for me, when it comes to me dealing with this thing. I think from time to time, its the worst $500 that I ever spent :) but I know that's not right, its a nice thing to have on your system, when ever I get it up and running like it should be. Oh, Cleanning your Power heads does wonders for adding flow in your tank :):)

Edited by Redfish

Wanna sell it? LOL I need to visit some of you and learn more about reactors and dosing and god knows what else. I know so little about that part of reef keeping its a little nerve racking building my system. Steadily wondering if I should add something now so I don't have to tear everything down later to make it work. I'm referring to reactors or whatever else may need to be plumbed into the system.

Naw :lol: Don't want to sell it just yet, just keep watching the Equipment For Sell Section though, it won't be in the Used Section though, I wouldn't call this a used Apex :lol: I am just a little dejected with the thing right now.

Just pulling your chain :) I'm working on acquiring one now if I can quit pinching Benjamins. I know I need it, I've just become a tightwad lately. Big step for me as my first and only reef tank is a 14 gallon bio cube. Going from that simple thing to something with Apex, Radions, MP40es, skimmers, ATO, sumps, etc etc. is overwhelming. My entire system wouldn't pay for one of my lights. LOL. Huge step for a newb and wouldn't think about doing it if it wasn't for the great peeps on this site. I owe quite a few of you cold adult beverages and can't wait to meet you to pay up.

Mounted Dosing pumps

Dialed in Alkalinity dosing (still waiting on Cal to come down into range so I can work on it, since the test kit was giving odd readings when I first started testing, causing me to dose Calcium when I didn't need it.)

Cleaned glass a couple of times

Emptied skimmate locker

Took Kalk stirrer offline as the mixing bar or motor stopped working again.

Started setting up water mixing station, FW done, but needs some tweaks. SW will be worked on this week once pump is cleaned and tested.

Added a few pieces of SPS and zoas

Watched how some of my corals are recovering from browning out

I think it's the AquaMedic KS1000. Got it from Reef Coral a couple of years ago.

I replaced the motor in it back in November. This time it just makes noise be doesn't turn. Haven't pulled it out to check the operation yet. When I pull the pump and other things to clean this coming weekend I'll check that.

Edited by ericd000

I was wondering if it was one of the Avast marine ones. I saw Jerry has one of them, and, was wondering how reliable the motor is.

I can say about mine is its going on a few years old now and the pump is still good. I've had it running for about seven months but I believe William had it for over a year.

Edited by lars

As far as what I did for the tank - I had to go buy a new return pump this morning due to the other pump burning up. It sucks because I was about to buy the new jb40 but now instead I spent the money and the tank still looks the same.

As far as what I did for the tank - I had to go buy a new return pump this morning due to the other pump burning up. It sucks because I was about to buy the new jb40 but now instead I spent the money and the tank still looks the same.

What kind of pump are you looking for? Internal or external?

its the controllable tunze knockoff that runs around $120 with controller

Ohhh... Gotcha... Saw the article on it a few weeks back... Pass...

I've read nothing buy good reviews on them for weeks now on just about every reef forum. I only read one post where there's went out and they said it was replaced no questions asked. For the price I thought I would give it a shot.