Sean:EbN

My best SPS tank ever...

Hello everyone,

I might have posted pics on LARC of this tank years ago but recently I found a few more pics of it. This was my most successful tank I've ever run!

29 gallon (30"x12"x15") with a DSB/Plenum System

NO SUMP

1 - 250W 6500K Iwasaki SE Metal Halide run by a Single PFO Ballast

4 - 24" 75w VHO Actinics run by an IceCap 660

NO CHILLER/ Lots of fans :)

1 - Coral Connection Version 1 Hang On Protein Skimmer

4 - random sized submersible powerheads

1 - Fluval 203 Canister Filter (No media just used for water circulation)

Only doing 5 gallon water changes every week or so with unfiltered Mandeville well water :) Also dosing 2-part B-Ionic at about 4 times the max recommended dose.

This was set-up in 1997 and ran until about mid 2000. Most of the corals grew from frags! I really would like to recreate this type of growth in my 300 gallon

29fts.jpg

• Like 2

Nice, Sean...I was wondering when you'd post up pictures of it. I think you had shown this photo to me back when you had the shop out in Goodbee.

+1 rep to you!

Edited by kirk_m

Wow, that tank is packed. It looked great.

Thanks!! It was such an addiction at the time! The calcium needs of it were INSANE!!! I eventually installed a Korallin Calcium Reactor to help with my bills on B-Ionic. This was when I earned $7.00/hour working at the LFS... Those were the days of strict budgets!

That could quite possibly be the best looking 29 ever. Impressive to say the least.

Thanks!! It was definitely a Bonsai Reef for sure! I could tell you the tank was huge and most wouldn't be able to tell what size it was. It was the max that I could afford at the time and I sometimes look at that pic and wonder why I'm trying to work with a 300 gallon!!

and i THOUGHT my 29g was packed! that looks pretty awesome!

Thanks :) Towards the end it was definitely overcrowded. I learned which Acro's were stronger than the others when they would take each other over! LOL

Very nice :)

Thanks for the compliment :)

Wow! That's just ridiculous! Very nice.

I hope I can create ridiculousness again!

i'm going to print out that picture and tape it to the front of my 20g tank and just pretend for awhile

Jackson, I know what you mean! I'm working with a sparsely decorated 300 gallon now and its killing me. Maybe I should project this image onto the wall! LOL Just be steady and diligent with your 20g! I love little tanks!