ericd000

So, it sprung a leak... 300DD In-wall Build

Clearly someone has hacked @ericd000 account... :shrug:

Lol This has been happening for yrs and yrs and finally it is coming to fruition. Let me and Brayden know when you ready for some tester frags...  I've been breaking red purple, and spongode cap up cause it's getting too big and starving other corals out. Instead of me putting them behind my rockwork, I can just run you some...

Edited by mknightryder

Clearly someone has hacked [mention=73]ericd000[/mention] account... :shrug:

Lol This has been happening for yrs and yrs and finally it is coming to fruition. Let me and Brayden know when you ready for some tester frags...  I've been breaking red purple, and spongode cap up cause it's getting too big and starving other corals out. Instead of me putting them behind my rockwork, I can just run you some...

I know man. It’s been a long road to get here. Still have a bit to do but there isn’t anything that should prevent me from starting the cycle now that I have the generator.

Going to attempt to plumb the frag tank into the main system this weekend without destroying what I’ve done so far. I just had too many issues keeping it stable enough for stony corals with the limited time I have to work on the system. Which is why I tried to set up the display so I can add more automation as I go and have the funds.

Hopefully John will have gotten the starter bacteria in by tomorrow.

Need to decide on where I’m going to mount the dosing pumps.

Was looking at how I intended to plumb in the reactors and don’t think the way is going to have the outputs feed back into the common drain will work. Will look at how I need to rearrange them tomorrow and get a game plan on what I’m going to do there.

Need to make some screen tops for the tank. Thinking I’m going to go Acrylic for these so I can address come cutouts for the over the back returns.

Need to decide on what fish I want to add first.

I’m sure there are things I’m missing but these are at the front of my mind.

9 hours ago, RedStickReefer said:

Man, this tank finally has water and Will's back...what will happen next?!?!  Looks awesome Eric!

Stay tuned for more......😂

Not getting much done this weekend.  AC is out and temp is about 81 in the tank currently.  Hopefully the AC guy on the way can get me cooling down quickly and cheapish.  (Yeah right!)

Added my first fish to the tank last weekend.  

Went with a Gold Rim and a Yellow Eyed Kole Tang, as well as a Swallowtail Angel.

All are active in the tank and eating nori, mysis, and NLS pellets. Although the Angel ended up in one of the overflows the first night, all seem healthy after I fished him/her out.  

I will be traveling for work a bit over the next few weeks, so I'll probably hold off on more fish for a few weeks.  Wanting to get an Orange Shoulder Tang, and maybe a Clown Tang, and cap the tangs at 4.

Planning to get some starter polyp corals in a week or 3, once I get the frag tank back in the room.  Took it out for a good cleaning, and just haven't had the energy to move it back after being sick a couple of weeks back.  Going to attempt to rectify that this weekend.  Planning to hook up the UV sterilizer as well.  

Drilled a couple of holes to the outside and fed some tubing through so I can pump fresh air into the skimmer for pH assistance.  It had been hanging around the 8.0-8.04 range.  Hoping to get that to stay stable higher.

Had an ALK drop during the cycle.  Water was mixed at 8.5, and after cycling for 3 weeks it was down to 5.6!  Only thing I can figure is that the rock absorbed a bunch to balance what was stripped from the muriatic baths.  Dosed it back up to 8.5-8.7 and over the past week it dropped down to 7.8. 

CA has been holding steady at 425.  Have not dosed that yet.  

Starting to see some brownish patches on some of the rocks, so that may be the beginning of the ugly algae/diatom phase...  I can't blow it off with a turkey baster, so prob algae.  

I'm going to see about picking up a few initial members of the clean-up crew tomorrow as well.  

Here is a short vid I took last Sunday.  I posted to FB but hadn't gotten around to posting here.

Cheers!

• Like 3

Congrats on getting fish in the tank!  I have a C02 scrubber and it works great on my small 40g. I suggest getting the rocks off the sand more to help with dead spots.

11 hours ago, MockandRoll said:

Congrats on getting fish in the tank!  I have a C02 scrubber and it works great on my small 40g. I suggest getting the rocks off the sand more to help with dead spots.

I thought about doing a CO2 scrubber, but don't want to go through the trouble of replacing media for it.  Seems it could get pricey if you are pulling a lot of CFM of high CO/2 air through the scrubber.

I've already got the 1/4" holes drilled and tubing feeding through them into a weak AquaLifter pump into a tub of carbon to clean the air before pushing into the skimmer.  I'm going to take one of the more powerful pumps I have at the house and put it into an airtight container, then plumb the 2 lines from the outside to feed into the container, sealed with silicone, since the pump draws air from its bottom side.  Both of the outputs from the pump will push out through the side of the container into the carbon tub, and into the skimmer.  

On 8/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, ericd000 said:

I thought about doing a CO2 scrubber, but don't want to go through the trouble of replacing media for it.  Seems it could get pricey if you are pulling a lot of CFM of high CO/2 air through the scrubber.

I've already got the 1/4" holes drilled and tubing feeding through them into a weak AquaLifter pump into a tub of carbon to clean the air before pushing into the skimmer.  I'm going to take one of the more powerful pumps I have at the house and put it into an airtight container, then plumb the 2 lines from the outside to feed into the container, sealed with silicone, since the pump draws air from its bottom side.  Both of the outputs from the pump will push out through the side of the container into the carbon tub, and into the skimmer.  

I think filtering the outside air is smart. The mosquito trucks are just one example of something you have to worry about

On 9/4/2018 at 10:09 AM, 110reef said:

Looking good, Eric. Nice fishes. I also like the rockwork. Glad to see water in that thing!

Thanks Ken!

I'm waiting for a couple (few) more weeks for the tank to settle in before I start messing with corals.  Work is going to be crazy until the weekend of the 22nd and no idea what they are going to throw at me after that.  

Want to hopefully get past the nastiest of the brown crud covering everything phase before putting anything other than fish in.

So a tank update.

This past weekend I did the following on my system.

1.Plumbed in the Coralife turbotwist 12x UV sterilizer into the manifold.  Need to get a new O-Ring set as the one big one was missing.  I've got it dialed way back and its not leaking, but I'd feel more comfortable it I didn't have to have a bucket sitting under it...

2. Finally plumbed the frag tank into the system.

3. Cleaned out some of the clutter in the fish room.  Still got a little more to go, but the boxes are gone finally.

4. Tested CA, noticed it had dropped from 420 - 390 in the week, so I guess something is taking it up, since there are no corals in the tank.  Probably coraline somewhere i haven't noticed.  Bought some Fusion 1 to dose it up to 440.  Will test again tonight.

Alk dropped from 8.7 to 7.4 over the course of about 2 weeks, so I will probably need to go ahead and put the kalk stirrer online with very small daily doses separate from my top off dosing to keep it stable before I add any corals to the tank, to offset whatever it taking up the CA/Alk in the tank.

Going to be out town a good portion of the next 2 weeks for work, so there won't be much in the way of activity on the tank.  I expect the glass with have a thick coating of that brownish film when I get back.  

Going to need to invest in an algae magnet for the back and sides of the tank...  Was looking for a spot where I could put the webcam so it can look into the tank, then noticed how much algae is on the side glass.  One downside of having a tank with a window into another room, but glass sides in the fish room that can be seen through, you gotta clean all the glass :P

Brandon @saltyfish808 doesn't have to worry about that with his plywood tank, just let coraline grow everywhere!

Still need to get media reactors plumbed in.  I have a general Reef Octopus media reactor that I will use for carbon, and a RO biopellet reactor that I will likely use for GFO when I need to worry about that. 

As of Saturday night's tests:

Alk:   8.4     Hanna dHK - Will probably try to maintain this around the 9-9.5 range.  The 120 did very well in that range.

CA:   440    Hanna & Red Sea

NH4: 0        Red Sea

NO3  5-10  Red Sea

NO2  0        Red Sea

PO4:  0.01 Hanna ULR

Want to get my hands on a PAR meter to tune my lights in a bit.  

Also looking at replacing the fixtures I have currently with the Orphek V4's when I have the money.  Should be able to get better coverage and capability with 3 units.  I'll look into that more closely once I come back from vacation at the beginning of Dec.  Really hating that I don't have controller interface capability on these Reef Radiance units.  I may see if Rick @RR has a way for me to add that to these older fixtures for less cash than new fixtures.  But man those Orphek fixures are sexy... :P

That's enough rambling for now.  I'll try to post some pics tonight or tomorrow.

So... diatoms in full bloom.

This is what my tank looked like when I got home from work today.

4503cff6dd6aabf0e45a9cef7b3a2e22.jpg

This is what it looked like after taking the siphon to the sand.

9fc1725101373ea0fc9066af50874151.jpg

I didn’t mess with the rocks much before this pic. After I took the turkey baster to it a bit. I didn’t spend too much time on that. Gotta leave something for the snails and tangs to graze on.

• Like 1

Diatoms and cyano still in full swing currently. Getting ready to dose chemiclean.  

While preparing for maintenance today, I decided I needed to finally hang up that painting I picked up on vacation last year.  What do you folks think?

E6C8CA9A-B7A0-452C-B996-C64DDC09059E.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow, it's really been almost 2 months since I updated this thread... shame, shame..

Here's the quick and dirty rundown on the tank:

Diatom explosion is mostly gone.  Just cyano now

Lost the Kole tang right at the end of October.  One day it was looking fine and eating well, showing no evidence of ick, the next afternoon it was covered and dead the morning after.

The Gold Rim tang was doing alright after that, started showing steady ick, but was eating heartily through it.  It lasted about 2.5 weeks after that before it passed on. 

I still have the Swallow-tail angel.  Seems healthy and eating well, albeit spent a lot of time hiding in the rocks after the tangs died.

Had been having a terrible time getting Alk/CA up with 2-part dosing.  I was up to 250ml of Alk per day (BRS) and still having to dose Fusion 2 a couple of times a week to keep it over 8 dKH.  

So I added a Reef Octopus CR5000D 8" Calcium Reactor to the tank the last week of Oct.  Got it pretty close to dialed in before my vacation.  Was gone for 2 weeks and a couple of days and without dosing Alk went from 9.1 - 8.5...  Not perfect, but better than I was getting with 2 part, where it would go from 9.0 to 7.0 in 2 days.  

I also added a CO/2 scrubber to the system.  The first week my pH jumped from a high of 8.02 to 8.2 during the day.  I'm seeing somewhat lower numbers now, at 8.14 highs but it's better on average now.  Just don't know if I can keep up with the media replacement.  I got the large scrubber, and get 2 weeks or so out of a canister.  Also the current BRS formula has a very, and I mean 'very' slight color shift to purple.  Inside the canister I can't tell it's changed.  Have to open it and compare it to something white to tell.  Hoping they fix that soon.

Another thing I did was to rework the outside air input setup.  Originally I had it pulling air in through the sealed container, then pushing through a big container of carbon media to clean it.  I found that I wasn't getting hardly any air output that way.  Since I don't have an exterior mounted air pump that could force air in with a higher pressure, I changed it up a bit.  I converted the back half of the airtight container to a carbon bed, separated with filter pad and egg crate.  Since the air pump only pulls from the air around it (not a direct line diaphragm pump), it should be able to pull the 'cleaned' air through the tubing that terminates in the carbon, then using the outputs to push that air into the sump.  I was running it to the skimmer air intake, but found the effect minimal, especially compared to the CO/2 scrubber.  So I have an impromptu standpipe where my refugium and frag tank drains into the sump where I stuck the 2 wood air stones.  

With the vertical pipe above it, and the elbow below, very few of the bubbles make it into the sump.  

58ac2978e5df0544ad23a48830e8e7f7.jpg

After I returned from my vacation, things were good other than cyano was creeping back.  Had to go out of town suddenly at the end of the first week of Dec for a funeral.  When I got back my Alk had dropped from 8.5 to 6.5 over a week!  Was  trying to figure out what happened and saw that the effluent output had stopped.  Guess using the 2 valves to keep the pressure down in the reactor chamber caused the slower drip to clog.  So I cleaned it out, and opened the lower 1/4" valve on full and kept the top 1" valve choked almost all the way closed, with the needle valve nearly wide open for a steady trickle.  So now I have to get it dialed in again.  I dosed up to 8.7, then with the increased effluent at 6.5 pH, that rose to 10.0 in about 6 days, of me tweaking trying to get it to level out.  I've raised the pH in the CARx to 6.7 and I'm now monitoring to see how it does.  It was 9.1 last night after a 75 gallon water change.  

I've lost a couple of frags in the past month or so.  One of the Acropora Spathulata frags I got from the AH meet started to RTN on me after I got back from the funeral trip and discovered the Alk had tanked.  Once I got the Alk dosed back up, it stopped.  Most of the flesh it gone, just a few iridescent patches on the branches.   I'll give it a week or so to hopefully decide what it's going to do, then it if looks like it's recovering, I'll frag the tips in hopes of saving it.  I'll have to see if John has another frag of this one I can get.  It's a pale rainbow like color.  The other  Spathulata frag I got from that meet is still looking good, although a little brown/darker, even though they were directly next to each other on the frag rack...   I also lost the Duncan frag I got from that meet.  It was looking bad when I got back from vacation.  Not sure what the deal is on that one, but I'll wait a bit before trying a Duncan frag again.  Some of my zoanthid/paly polyps decided to go floating around the frag tank.  I haven't fished them all out yet.  Maybe they will latch onto some rubble or glass where I they can get a good base that I can scrape off and get a good solid area to glue onto a plug/rock.  

From my last round of tests:

Alk:   9.1

CA:   425    

NH4: 0        

NO3  10-20

NO2  0        

PO4:  0.07 Hanna ULR

The nitrates had crept up a little over the 3+ weeks I wasn't able to change the filter socks/pads or do a WC.  Not terrible, but higher than I wanted.  Likely why the cyano is creeping back.

Need to retest the NO3 now that I've done that WC and changed the socks. 

Picked up a decent sized Naso from AH last weekend.  He cleared out 99% of the visible algae in the display overnight.    Shortly after the lights came on the morning after adding him, the angel started swimming out in the open a lot more... Go figure...

19542a0879c25b72f99bd6b041ad0045.jpg

94d5cb2d2da62158af7e1d1f824d50ea.jpg

24d06535c685553704790a89263d318c.jpg

A couple of things on the horizon for the system.

I noticed that when I make salt water and let it sit for a few days, the Alk tanks.  I made a batch of water on the 21st, didn't get time to do the WC until the 24th.  Good thing I checked the Alk, because it had dropped from 8.4 to 6.5!!!!

I dosed it up to 8.7 with Reef Builder and did the WC Christmas Eve morning.  I believe even though I constantly have a power head running in my water storage bins, I need to put in an air stone to keep it better aerated when mixing and storing.  I've got another dual outlet pump coming, so I'll test that theory after the first of the year.

I'm switching to the Fritz high Alk Salt, to keep from needing to dose up my makeup water so much.  

• Like 1

Things are humming along more or less.  Did another 75 gallon WC yesterday.  

Your Reef had a sale going on and I ended up doing a little ordering.  I've got these pieces coming on Saturday.

Emerald Rose

sOb362J.jpg

Furry Twist

vaZxoxR.jpg

JD Blueberry Tort

QBZewW6.jpg

YR Afterglow

PnJvWt6.jpg

YR Pastel Shortcake

s12YCQs.jpg

YR Pomegranatre

S6AHpGO.jpg

YR Repo Man

rUrmorh.jpg

YR Rose Bud

OCAZvXw.jpg

Also took a quick video of the display earlier today.  Pardon the cyano, I'm still fighting that...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 110reef said:

Looks great, Eric!

Thanks Ken!

I plan to start placing some corals in the display this weekend if stuff in the frag tank still looks good.

Well, there was some issue with the coral order.  Everything except the YR Afterglow arrived Saturday morning.  The frag had gotten stung and wasn't looking well enough for shipping so they refunded me for it along with a $10 credit.  

However when I opened the box I could smell that something wasn't right.  No water in the styro, but a strong SPS smell.  Sure enough 4 our of the 10 frags had RTN during shipping, and the other 6 weren't looking so hot.  I checked the temps, the heating pack was at 101 degrees, and the coral bags were 74-75 each.  I took pics and started the slow acclimation process.   Only 2 of the frags made it through acclimation.  Those two frags are still looking ok as of this post.

I notified Your Reef sales via email and sent the pics and the temps I took. Stacy got back to me in a couple of hours.  She felt that the heat pack may have gotten too hot at some point during transit.  They will be replacing the lost order items this week.  Just need to determine if I will take off Friday for it or have it come Saturday.  They do have a 7 day livestock guarantee, which is good.  

Surviving:

Emerald Rose Acro

Reef Raft Tropic Thunder Montipora

Lost:  

Radioactive Acro

YR Gem Acro

JD Blueberry Tort

YR Pomegranate Acro

YR Rose Bud Acro

Furry Twist Milli

YR Repo Man Acro

YR Pastel Shortcake

It was disheartening for this to happen with my first online livestock order for this system.  I didn't have the drive to do much else this weekend.  

I tested Alk/CA and mixed up a new batch of saltwater to do my next WC.  

Alk: 10.4

CA: 440 

SG: 1.025

Phos: 0.07

Mag: 1480

The spathulata frag that started to RTN on me is still hanging on to that little patch of flesh, so there is maybe a chance it will recover. I will continue to leave it be and frag off the good piece if I see it starting to encrust again.  

I told John to let me know when he frags his colony again, as I want to get another piece of that one.  

I picked up a Burning Banana and ORA Jedi Mind Trick frag from Aqua Hut on Friday.  Those appear to be doing well so far.

That's about it for now.