ericd000

So, it sprung a leak... 300DD In-wall Build

Planet, and pretty much anyone else won't warranty a tank if its not on a stand they built.  The stand I have is solid and built like an Abrams tank, and replacing that would have more than doubled the cost, given what they charge for steel stands.  

From what John tells me, Planet purposely overbuilds these tanks so they won't leak like the tanks they are meant to replace.

Ugh, that sucks, Eric.  I'm pretty sure Melev (marc levenson) had the same thing happen to his Marineland 300DD tank within a year or so after having bought it, brand new.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:19 AM, ericd000 said:

Planet, and pretty much anyone else won't warranty a tank if its not on a stand they built.  The stand I have is solid and built like an Abrams tank, and replacing that would have more than doubled the cost, given what they charge for steel stands.  

From what John tells me, Planet purposely overbuilds these tanks so they won't leak like the tanks they are meant to replace.

He's full of BAD WORD.  Remember the first two 300DD tanks I had Planet build me that weren't right?  They were both the 300DD clones.  Well, the first one was built to specs that I asked, with 3/4" thick glass and perimeter Eurobracing, plus two center braces.  Since they put two overflow boxes on it, it got sent back.  

Well, the replacement tank was built with just the one overflow as I asked, but they used 1/2" thick glass.  So it got sent back too...but not after Jerry @ Planet Aquariums tried to convince me that I should keep it, because that's how they build all of their 300DD tanks, using 1/2" thick glass.  Sorry, 1/2" thick glass BOWS under that kind of water pressure, just like in the 1/2" thick marineland Deep Dimension tanks.  So, they blow a seam just like this.

I hope you had him build it with 3/4", even though it's more expensive.

3 minutes ago, kirk_m said:

He's full of BAD WORD.  Remember the first two 300DD tanks I had Planet build me that weren't right?  They were both the 300DD clones.  Well, the first one was built to specs that I asked, with 3/4" thick glass and perimeter Eurobracing, plus two center braces.  Since they put two overflow boxes on it, it got sent back.  

Well, the replacement tank was built with just the one overflow as I asked, but they used 1/2" thick glass.  So it got sent back too...but not after Jerry @ Planet Aquariums tried to convince me that I should keep it, because that's how they build all of their 300DD tanks, using 1/2" thick glass.  Sorry, 1/2" thick glass BOWS under that kind of water pressure, just like in the 1/2" thick marineland Deep Dimension tanks.  So, they blow a seam just like this.

I hope you had him build it with 3/4", even though it's more expensive.

Yeah, I recall your fiasco with them Kirk.  Didn't realize it was the 300DD 'clone' of theirs.  

The quote was for 3/4" glass, with the perimeter eurobracing and 2 glass center braces, which is one of the reasons why I didn't go with low iron for the front.  Said the price jumps like $1000 for that in 3/4" while it was less than $300 for low iron in 1/2"