Ok i have heard a few different opinions on what size return pump to run. The 250 i bought has a mag 18 that came with it but the pump quit working after i got it home. I hear that the recommended flow is about 3 times the water volume of the tank. at 250 gallons that makes 750gph. I love eheim pumps but the 1262 is the biggest they sell, and at 950gph with head pressure and the reactors i just don't think that's gonna cut it. What are you bigger tank guys running for return pumps? Looking for an in sump pump also. 

I'd go with 10x turnover of the display, myself. Look into LAGUNA pond pumps, or, FLUVAL SEA pumps (which are really laguna pumps that have been modified). You'll be limited, however, by the size and number of drains, though.

Edited by kirk_m

I also could've sworn it was 10x on the return and just dial it back with a ball/gate valve if need be, but I was also told 3-5 times the total system volume turnover per hour, and use power heads at roughly 10 times the tank volume per hour.. hmm..

It depends on what you are keeping. The 10x turnover for the return pump is just to ensure that enough water is passing through the sump per hour to be filtered by the skimmer.

The in-tank circulation, however, is really dependent on what you are keeping. My in-tank turnover is 40x my tank volume, for an SPS tank.

I tried a 2400 gph pump on my upgrade and had big micro bubble problem. Even after adding more bubble traps. I ended up using a 1750 gph pump. Still had to cut it back even with feeding my protein skimmer and refugium. I found the water entering the sump is what caused the micro bubbles. I tried several layers of filter padding, bio balls and additional bubble traps, the flow thru the sump was just too fast for bubbles to make it to the surface.

Mine are 1.25" to the bulkhead in the overflow box then 1" beneath the tank. Running the water blaster two 40's and a 60

Edited by Smtwinn

If you've got 1.5" bulkheads, why on earth would you reduce the plumbing sizes below the bulkhead? That reduces the amount of flow the system can handle, speeds up water flow through the pipes, makes more noise in the sump, and introduces more microbubbles.

I meant water blaster on my pump. Sorry for the confusion. I also have the DC5500 on my skimmer. Just got it so far I'm impressed super quiet as well

Edited by Smtwinn

Yeah i was just thinking with the fuge a little slower thru the sump wouldnt hurt anything. I plan on trying a few of the easier sps pieces but im more of a softie/lps kind of guy. (Geez i know thats gonna make the brk forum later).

The blaster pump I had was great, quiet, no heat, believe it had safeties built in if a snail or whatever stalled the prop, I would buy it again.