Lalani

Upgrading to a 75gal

Ok, so, the biggest tank I've kept so far was a 40br with a K1 and AC110 fuge, but soon (hopefully) I'll be upgrading to a 75gal that will be my biggest tank yet. I'll be getting it from Coffey, and its been drilled for a closed loop. I have a 36in. 4-bulb (4x36w) T5HO fixture that I'll put over it. Should be enough light for the softies and SPS that I have and maybe a clam, which I've been wanting for a while.

What kind of pump would you guys suggest? This is totally new territory for me, because this is what I consider a BIG tank, lol. I'll also need a stand for it. I know a carpenter in Lafayette who could build me one, but I dunno about transport. Hmmmm

Running the Fluval S2 for the return on my 75.  http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=HG14335&child=HG14335  The S3 may be a better option for a closed loop.

Take a look into flex pvc for the plumbing-- http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idProduct=FT1383&child=FT1385  

I've always just used the Danner Supreme Mag pumps. They seem to last (on average) 5 years or so. For the price, I can live with that. Congrats on the upgrade, btw! 

If you need a fluval SP2, I found one for $100 picked up in new orleans. The guy says its new in box, so I was gonna grab it for my downgrade, but if you need it I'll forward his # to you.

Joining the big league and I am probably going to be close size wise too, looking at a 90 maybe for arkansas you'll do fine with that size

There really is nothing to building the tank stand frame, you could do this ,,,,, if you wanted :) One of the computer whizzes in here could diagram it up for you and give you the board lengths. You go to Lowe's with your measurements and they will cut the boards for you ,,, at no charge :) They tend to do a better job cutting the boards, if you go early in the morning before they start getting busy :)  Assembly would be best with a Craig Jig, but I have seen more than a few, just use screws, either way you would need a drill. There is nothing to using a Craig Jig though :) Finishing the stand is another animal though, this can be as easy or as complicated as you want it to be. Or ,,, you could buy Ryan's

Congrats on the new tank 

Not to go against youPete but some of the people running saws at these stores havent a clue. I got 4 2x's cut and they all ended up a 1/16 to an 1/8 off in length.

It happens Dave, have had the same thing happen to me :)  ,,,, thats why I said go early before they get busy, your odds increase on getting a good job done.  

You know the only thing a guy likes more than a top down is bigger top downs right? LOL

Seriously though I'd look at an Eheim 1260 for a return. Quiet and dependable.

Nice, thanks everybody for the input! I'll have to take a look at and compare all of the recommendations. I'll probably be asking more questions soon. :P

Can't wait to see what you can do with a "big" tank :P

Meee too! lol

Oh, it's about freakin' time! ;)

Right? Should have it set up before summer time :P

It's about time. Are you going with a sump? Or just closed loop?

Just closed loop. I don't do sumps, haha

There really is nothing to building the tank stand frame, you could do this 

Yep, I've built a few myself, but I always had a shop full of equipment on hand to do it with. Now that I live away from home and in an apartment, I'll have to either borrow tools or outsource help!

You know the only thing a guy likes more than a top down is bigger top downs right? LOL

:lol:

I finally have a set schedule with two days off back-to-back (Mon and Tue), so I'll do some research soon on these recommendations. Thanks, guys!  :thumbup:

Just closed loop. I don't do sumps, haha

Unless the tank is already drilled, I would go no loop/no sump.  :D Just use vortech/tunze (or cheap koralias) for circulation.

Have you leak tested the tank yet?  Knowing how long ago it was made (don't think it ever saw water, either, but, I can't say for sure), and, how long ago the seals were stripped off for a demo on how to reseal a tank @ the 1st anniversary event, I'd definitely check it before moving it into your apartment/house.

Unless the tank is already drilled, I would go no loop/no sump.  :D Just use vortech/tunze (or cheap koralias) for circulation.

Its already drilled!

Have you leak tested the tank yet?  Knowing how long ago it was made (don't think it ever saw water, either, but, I can't say for sure), and, how long ago the seals were stripped off for a demo on how to reseal a tank @ the 1st anniversary event, I'd definitely check it before moving it into your apartment/house.

Yeah, we're going to re-seal the tank before I bring it home ;)

Congrats on your new tank. I am sure that it will be as beautiful as your 20 in no time.

On a side note, I guess Benjy was right. What woman doesn't want an additional 4".   JK

Edited by vertigo

I got an Ehiem for my return off of Ebay.  Its great!!  Super quiet and it has a built in flow adjustment.  Works great on my 70g.  On a side note, I can't wait to see what you will do with a bigger tank.  I look at your pics of the 20g and they look amazing.

I know the tank is empty with no corals in it,,,,, I still expect to see some exceptional pictures of a empty tank :) Congrats to you :)