RedStickReefer

RedStickReefer's Dream Build

SPS haul from Fragniappe today.  Shout out to @lars for not buying up all of the Fraghouse SPS before I had a chance to get my hands on a few. :lol:  From left to right: Walt Disney, FHC Heat Sink Mille, Dippin Dots, FHC Game Over Mille, JF Sour Twist, and in the back right is JF Fox Flame.  I just hope I can keep them this colored up in the 30g.  Awesome selection of SPS from Fraghouse, Top Shelf Aquatics and other vendors today.  The Fragniappe SPS game has definitely been on point the last couple of years.  Come a long way from our first Fragniappe event!

47279709242_2b2cd34af0_k.jpg2019-03-09_06-15-57 by Jensen Esneault, on Flickr

Sorry guys, not much to update on the 180g.  Been working a lot and got hit pretty hard by the IRS.  Still going to move forward though, just going to take more time.  I have picked up some frags recently though from Adam and top shelf aquatics.  I picked  up a Diablo mille and ASD rainbow mille from Adam.  The group of frags in the pic below from top shelf aquatics are the JF Shocktart, Paletta pink tip, ora red table, jkr rainbow acro, and the one in the middle back is a bill Murray.

2019-04-28_05-05-30 2019-03-09_06-15-57

2019-04-28_05-06-05

For sure.  I will be a frag sharing SOB once the 180g goes up.  A lot of room for fuzzy sticks!  Hell, I might even have to trim back these frags in the 30g depending on how long this 180g build takes... Lol

Not yet.  I'm not happy with the matte finish on the stand.  I'm going to tape it off and put on a coat of semi-gloss this weekend.  I ordered 3 Radion xr15s and a Vectra L2 pump yesterday, so I should be getting those in soon.  I will order another 3 xr15s for a total of 6 once the tank gets cycled and further along.  I plan on picking up some or most of the plumbing parts this weekend as well, so I can start working on the plumbing next weekend.  I still need to determine how I'm going to plumb this sucker though.

Some more progress made on the 180g this week.  I got my vectra L2 and 3 radion xr15 G5 blues.  My plan is to have a total of 6 xr15s over the 180g, but I might have an issue with mounting 2 xr15s in the middle of my tank due to my overflow box.  I'll find out when I get the rms mounts in hand.  I might have to use a single xr30, or come up with a new mounting solution for the xr15s in the middle of my tank. 

I painted the stand with semi-gloss paint this weekend.  I just wasnt happy with the matte finish.  I also bought most of the plumbing parts as well.  I still need a spears gate valve for my drain piping and several ball valves though.  I also made new sump drain line stand pipes.  The ones that came with the sump did not use unions and were too tall for the limited space under my stand.  I didnt make the stand, I only put on a new facade, so I'm stuck working with the space I've got.

2020-03-01_05-18-03

2020-03-01_05-17-45

2020-03-01_05-18-42

2020-03-01_05-19-00

A quick update on the 30g frag tank...Unfortunately I'm going to have to start over with my SPS.  Most of the SPS frags I had are dead due to AEFW.  It's disheartening because I only bought SPS from reputable dealers that advertise they are "pest free".  I did get two frags from Adam, but the two frags were fresh cut from healthy colonies, inspected, dipped in a concentrated solution of Bayer, and then inspected again before going into my 30g.  There were no signs of any pests at all, so I know they didn't come from those two frags.  Adult flatworms wouldn't have been able to survive the concentrated dip and there were no plugs or exposed coral bone for any eggs to come in on.  All rock, sand and frag racks were removed from the tank.  Small pieces of the few healthy surviving corals were cut, dipped in Bayer, glued to new plugs and put into a new frag rack.  The few remaining corals are doing good and I haven't seen any signs of AEFW in months.  I am struggling with keeping my nutrients up though because the tank is fishless.  I'm thinking by pulling out all the sand and rock I removed the tank's biological filtration, which probably caused an ammonia spike and killed my fish.  So, back to the drawing board.  I'm looking forward to Aqua-fest to restock my SPS collection.

I rented a par meter this weekend and my suspicion was confirmed. The remaining few sps in my 30g are recovering now that the AEFW are gone, but I could tell something else was wrong.  My parameters are fine so I knew it wasnt that.  My gen 1 radions are 10 years old and must be reaching the end of their life expectancy.   They're still running fine, but the LEDs aren't putting out the par they used to.  I had to crank up the intensity to 100% just to get a somewhat even spread of 250-300 par just 20 inches below the fixtures.  The sps are now getting the par they need, so we'll see how they do from here.  Oh, I also bought a yellow tang and added him to the tank.