Every year I stress over my tanks when the time of years comes around for the annual Christmas party. The thing is, I am very much hands off with my tanks. I don't buy fancy corals. The last water changes I did were in the spring.... of 2014! I change my bulbs once a year, clean the glass when I feel like it, and clean the pumps around every six months. I do have high quality skimmers which I attend to regularly so that helps a lot.

Electricity usage aside, I probably spend less money on my tanks than most. My fish food costs me $25 per year for all those fat happy fish. That wasn't a typo on $25. Or the water change in the spring of 2014!

So.... I just keep some plain ole average tanks. Meanwhile, all year long I browse the forum here and see jaw dropping images of member tanks. Many of which reminds me of my tanks of yesteryear. But there's no time in my life for tanks that require such routine care. I once had time though! For example, I built the stands for each of my tanks. The only two carpentry projects I have ever attempted with my rudimentary carpentry "skills".

I have two fish older than ten years old. Several in  the seven to nine year range. And all but one of the rest are at least over five years old. When it comes to corals, I occasionally buy something cheap that catches my eye. I'm soooo much more about the fish than the corals though.

I hope those of you who were at the party this past weekend were able to enjoy MY tanks!

..... now, back to browsing insanely beautiful pictures on the forum.

I hear ya Greg.  I miss my 120 when it was thriving from before the move.  Maintenance was minimal for me as well.  Refill kalk reactor once a month, change out carbon/GFO at the same time, water changes every 3 months or so.  

Was never the same after the move.  I don't have a wife or kids to take up my upkeep time, but work does take a massive amount of my time.  

I'm inching towards getting the 300 going, and looking forward to stocking it.  Trying to make the maintenance as hassle free as possible so I will stay on it!

Eric, for the longest time I wanted to recapture the past. Meaning trying to recreate the success I had with my tanks. Ultimately though I figured the tanks should not be work. They are meant for enjoyment and mine are definitely that way now. Sounds like you are on the same track with the 300.

Exactly Greg.  My 120 did it's best from around the 18 month mark till I moved at around the 3.5 year mark.  The majority of that time it was on light-touch maintenance.  And most things thrived with the exception of some stubborn SPS colonies.  There will be work getting back to that point in the 300, but that's part of the fun of the hobby to me.  

I was the same way for a long time greg.  If I did a water change once a year I was lucky.  Twice was incredible.  I had an under rated skimmer but did have the PO4 reactor and a refugium rolling.  All I did was fill the top off with water and feed the tank.  Once in a while I added some supplements.  Everything was doing absolutely fantastic.  I certainly long for those days again.  Ever since things got tight on the budget and I stopped doing any repairs to broken equipment or anything, I have never enjoyed the tanks for the most part.

Hands off and beautiful is the way to go if you can manage.