TheGrimmReefer

Blaming this one on Jordan..

Jordan always has the coolest stuff in his tanks. After reading about his peacock mantis, then Paige and I got to see it in person, I decided to set up a tank for a Mantis. 

I picked up a little all in one 20g setup from John at Aqua Hut. It came with a HOB filter, a heater, and a hood (which I didn't use). I had an extra Fluval powerhead and purchased a Fluval LED fixture and some rock. 

Because the Copperband (which I happened to catch today) was nipping at my acans, the short term solution was to move the acans to the 20g. They immediately started doing better. 

John had a really cool wennerae mantis that was an awesome neon yellow color, but, unfortunately it didn't make it. 

So, I signed up for email alerts at BlueZoo for a Purple Spot Mantis, which Jordan said doesn't come in very often. Late one night, I get a text (from Jordan), "BlueZoo just got purple spots in."

I was on it! Ordered one and and set it for Tuesday delivery (today). 

Needless to say, I'm stoked! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dude, where do you place your Acan orders. You have some pretty sick looking ones that I must find for myself....lol

Every acan I've purchased either came from AquaSD or from Aqua Hut. Only a select few from SD, though. Mainly Aqua Hut. 

So jealous... Purple Spots are awesome!!!

He's only jealous because he wants some purple spot finger smashing love from the mantis.

Thanks, Mike. According to Jordan, this mantis is one of the more interactive species, is less likely to hurt me with its club, and won't cost as much to feed. I can't wait to start seeing the personality, once it gets settled in. 

Dude, where do you place your Acan orders. You have some pretty sick looking ones that I must find for myself....lol

austinaqua farms also usually has some very nice acans for fairly reasonable prices.

Very nice set up, but watch your fingers for sure.

Thinking about putting 3-5 smaller fish in the 20g with the Mantis. Not sure what to get though. Want something that'll stay small, but, won't get smashed by the Mantis. 

There are a shat pot of bad ace mantis' out there.--- http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/  Unfortunately finding most of them for sale is all but impossible since stomatopod dot com shut down a few years back. Still regret not buying the O japonicus they had.