Reef Tank Greg

What's your Reefkeeping Nemesis?

Seems there's always something I am battling with my reef tanks. Little nuisances here and there. But really there are some things that tend to linger no matter what. For me, it's aiptasia. I've yet to find any method to permanently get rid of them. Only able to keep them under control. I move a file fish back and forth between my two tanks monthly.

What is your reefkeeping nemesis?

Just now, halfmoon61 said:

cyano...

That one can be awful too! Especially when you follow all the advice such as getting rid of low flow zones, killing off nutrients and phosphates, etc. Yet you just can't seem to get rid of it!

Aptasia to me are annoying but stuff will eat them.

Majano anemones are the gift that keeps giving in a large reef tank. Only thing I've ever had luck with to control them is bicolor angelfish and even then, it's dicey at best.

Kirk, try throwing an abalone at the Brysopsis. I got one on a whim for a horrible rhodo that nothing would touch. It mowed it down in record time. They're nocturnal so it should be safe from any hungry fish.

• Like 1

Mine has always been time and money.  When I had a decent reef going, I barely had any problems with any cyano, algae, or anything else.  I sure miss those days.  People would come and just stare while I fed half a ton and wondered how it could be with such minimal equipment and maintenance.

7 hours ago, robharold said:

Mine has always been time and money.  When I had a decent reef going, I barely had any problems with any cyano, algae, or anything else.  I sure miss those days.  People would come and just stare while I fed half a ton and wondered how it could be with such minimal equipment and maintenance.

Rob ur 180 was pretty amazing back in the day!

It was a 225, but thank you.  I just wish I had found a way to keep it going when things got rough.  so much work, so much beauty, so much LIFE.....gone.  It saddens me b/c it was my responsibility and I failed the tank.