Reef Tank Greg

Asking for a friend.......

Suppose you were getting a new house built and had plans for an in wall tank which separated your office from the main living area of your home. Size of tank? 400 gallons to 1,000..... And you want it to be as maintenance and hassle free as possible.... But you want thriving sps colonies.... What equipment do you feel would be of most importance? In order or priority. 

Again.... asking for a friend!

I told my friend that I would prioritize lighting, then skimmer, then a calcium reactor. Of course there's circulation pumps, return pump, controller such as an Apex, etc..... But I would buy the best lighting I could afford (T5 if it were me...), a high quality skimmer like a Vertex Alpha (suggested he get a tank within specs for the high end alpha skimmer), and a calcium reactor as opposed to dosing. 

He doesn't like doing water changes with high frequency or doing dosing a lot. So I feel these options would be best for him.

What would YOU tell him?

If it were me, I would say the controller is most important with a caveat. I would say doing as much thinking ahead of time would be key. For example, setting up the plumbing, water sources/drains, and automation of auto topoff, automatic water changes. I have seen a few people on RC that have their large tanks set up to automatically change 1-2% of total water volume a day with two storage tanks for saltwater (1 for mixed saltwater being used for water changes and 1 mixing to be ready when first is drained).

• Like 2

If easiest/maint free with sps is the goal ...

For filtration - I'm going gac and gfo only. It's a pita to change media every 6 weeks, but I rather that over cleaning the filth out of a skimmer ... and skimmate stinks

For major and minor elements - doser. I've tried all 3 methods for maintaining alk/cal and if easiest is a goal, dosing is it IMO

For lights - simple cheap non-adjustable T5 works for me.

Controller is a must. The more basic, the less complicated.

My #1 priority would be random flow

JMO

• Like 1

If its a 400-1000g SPS tank, with minimum maintenance it'd be:

1. Skimmer with cleaner head + external waste cup

2. GFO/Carbon Reactor

3. 2 Litermeter III auto water change ~5g a day with huge water containers...

4. Doser/Ca Rx

still requires you to top off storage containers and add salt every so often I guess.

8 minutes ago, kirk_m said:

Thriving SPS...with no maintenance...tell him to go with Softies instead.

Not sure where you read no maintenance. As maintenance and hassle free as possible....

12 minutes ago, Reef Tank Greg said:

Not sure where you read no maintenance. As maintenance and hassle free as possible....

Regardless, SPS, little maintenance and hassle free are three things that don't belong in the same sentence together.   Sure, there's automation to help, but, I've never had the luxury of things being hassle free.

So large system SPS dominate and minimal maintenance?

plans are on hold for the 15' in wall in Hattiesburg but:

1 lighting I say best of both worlds, led T5 combo.

2 skimmer, premium brand sized at least 30% over Total water Volume

3 CARX a pain to set up but once operational easy peasy

4 emergency power supply whole house so temp stability is done

5 controller, I have never used one have one I'd sell but for a large system a big help

6 sump total volume at least 50% of display an aid for stability

7 air filter system in tank room to remove humidity and possible home toxins 

8 pumps with redundancy gotta have the flow.

9 premium test system. 

richard.....

• Like 1