Sign in to follow this  
mikediamo

patching pipe

i have a 1 inch pipe coming from a bulkhead that gravity feeds my sump that has a 2 inch cut in it. It is on a flat piece so lots of flat surface area around the cut. To replace it would be to remove the overflow box in the tank and replace the entire bulkhead. since its only subjected to   .88   PSI i was thinking Flex tape or epoxy patch anyone else done this

Man I've been plumbing since 94' and I've never seen any of those quick-fixes hold up well over time. 

A patch is a patch.... it's best used when in a bind, but needs to be corrected asap. 

How hard would it be to get to the pipe where it is split? Do you have enough room to possibly cut the pipe in two at the split? (Giving you two pieces of pipe with a 1" split in each end) You could then glue in a pvc coupling that would keep the splits inside of the coupling. 

Snap a pic and lemme see if there's another way. You might have to bite the bullet and just replace bulkhead and new pipe. You'll sleep better knowing there's never that chance a patch could give way....

Why not just get an adapter for the 1" to upsize it into the 2" opening? I have a bulkhead adapter that does just that and works great and is screwed in underneath so isn't going anywhere.

5a0b603da00d4_bulkheadadapters.jpg.0592e97e1dac664b0234603af7ffbc2e.jpg

i took you guys advice and just cut out the overflow and replaced the bulkhead. Im nervous about the overflow re caulking but i guess part of this hobby is steeping outside your comfort zone. It is a 1.5 inch bulkhead. i know its not a pretty calk job but it shouldn't leak.

20171120_143451[1].jpg

20171120_143525[1].jpg

:thumbup:

Let us know how the water test turns out! I think you did the right thing. A patch is simply a patch... At least now you know it is fixed and done the right way. That little assurance will help you sleep better at night! Trust me, in this hobby there are many things to worry about! Eliminating one thing is good for your sanity!!!:rollingyellow:

• Like 1