Kklotz1

Peppermint shrimp ate my new coral!

I just thought I’d share my experience with my new corals from LiveAquaria. I bought 3 corals, a double-headed hammer, a double-headed candy cane, and a Turbinaria heronensis.

First, I’d like to say that all my corals came from the Wisconsin location, not Los Angeles, and all seemed good and healthy. I’ve read that some people have complaints about corals and fish out of the L.A. branch of LiveAquaria so I just wanted to let y’all know that I have no complaints about the quality of my corals nor the packaging and shipping.

When I got them I acclimated and did a CoralRX dip. As soon as the candy cane coral went into the tank my 3 peppermint shrimp went into full attack mode! They were ravenous, fighting each other for their turn ripping this coral apart. I tried to scare them away but they kept coming back to it. I gave them pellets in an attempt to distract them from the candy cane but they ate the pellets and went right back to the coral. One shrimp wandered away from the candy cane and started exploring the hammer, but thankfully after a quick survey it left the hammer and I haven’t seen any of the shrimp bother the hammer or Turbiniaria. However after 3 days there was nothing left of the candy cane coral except skeleton.

Needless to say the peppermint shrimp are being evicted. They took care of the aptasia I had but now they’ve got to go. So moral of the story is peppermint shrimp aren’t as reef safe as you might think or want, and I would be happy to order from LiveAquaria again in the future.

Happy Reefing everyone!

There are more than one species of peppermint shrimp. To my knowledge there's only one that is Reef safe AND eat aiptasia. It's a real gamble. I almost lost my trumpets in the same way. Luckily I was able to catch them all. I've had good success with the peps that Seth @ Coral Fever carries.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There are more than one species of peppermint shrimp. To my knowledge there's only one that is Reef safe AND eat aiptasia. It's a real gamble. I almost lost my trumpets in the same way. Luckily I was able to catch them all. I've had good success with the peps that Seth @ Coral Fever carries.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have always had problems with them. Seems they go after corals after aptasia is gone. I’ve even had some stop eating aptasia to eat certain corals.

After mine cleared out the aiptasia, they started eating my rock flower anemones.   I added my flame hawk to the tank, and he tore the shrimp to shreds in a few days time, ending that problem :)

• Like 1

Well I thought the shrimp were leaving the hammer coral alone but apparently they were just being sneaky and eating it when I wasn’t looking. I put the hammer inside my fish net in an attempt to keep the shrimp away until I could move it to a friend’s tank and focus on catching the shrimp. Well apparently the hammer was the perfect bait because I was able to easily lift the net, with hammer and shrimp inside, out the tank and remove the shrimp. They were so focused on eating my hammer that they didn’t even notice they were being pulled out the water! I don’t know if one of the hammer heads is gonna make it but I have hope that the second head might recover.

Crazy, I never had any issues with peppermints in my old tank, other than they would die off after a while. 

I never had an aiptasia issue in that tank, but would get peppermints periodically to keep the ones I potentially missed from exploding.