RedStickReefer

RedStick's 120g Reef Build

Several have been thru similar, you know we lost a lot in the 2 big tanks ove a year and half. New tank is a 120 noting dead yet, not much in it either.

hope it settles down soon for you. Tank was stunning and can be again. 

Thanks for all of your comments and concerns guys.  It has been all but a total crash.  Most of the SPS in my tank have died, or are on the way out...at least the few LPS I have in my tank are still going strong.  I've continued to do weekly water changes since day one, still running carbon, testing...etc and water quality is fine but the SPS continue to slowly die.  Just going to roll on with the surving LPS from here on out until I can get my dream build going and then it's SPS city once again!  Hopefully....it'll be hard to beat the growth and enjoyment I got out of this tank.

Just a quick update.  My new job has really taken up a TON of my time and I haven't been able to get on the forum or enjoy my tanks as much as I'd like but the 120 is still up and running.  My Achilles tang and other fish are still doing great also.  With the exception of a couple montiporas and spongodes all SPS are dead and have been so for months.  The LPS I had in my tank are still doing fine and even the few SPS I have remaining are finally starting to regain some color.  I think whatever was going on with my tank is finally over and I'm seeing a glimmer of hope.  My plan is to eventually buy a couple new light fixtures (yes I know, I'm slacking and never bought the new radions, but when the tank crashed I lost all motivation), and move everything over from the 90g into the 120 and break down the 90g.  Then I can start focusing more on my 240g dream build since the 90g will be out of the way. Once the 240g is going strong I'll transfer everything over from the 120 and sadly the 120 will also be broken down.  So, more to come from me in coming months...B)

• Like 1

Sorry bout all them beautiful SPS colonies man... I'll pour out some beer for them. lol   I'm glad you and the rest of the tank is still kicking though! I've been wondering how you was doirn'! Congrats on the new J.O.B. man!

Good to see that you're still around, Jensen.  Have you given any consideration to pests possibly having taken out your acros, since the parameters were where they should have been?

Good to see that you're still around, Jensen.  Have you given any consideration to pests possibly having taken out your acros, since the parameters were where they should have been?

No, I haven't really given consideration to pests as it all happened wayyyy too fast imo and have dealt with pests.  I'm of the opinion it was bacterial/viral or chemical that was the demise. BUT at the same time I can't rule out the fact that with a tank so packed with SPS it only took one pest to piss off a large colony enough to RTN and set off a chain of events I couldn't stop...so I am where I am will just start a new.

Now that I finally have a computer again...I was able to hook up my Radions and update the firmware.  Yep, generation 1 Radions and I just got around to updating the firmware and logging into Ecosmartlive.com.  It only took me 3 hours of plugging and unplugging and logging on, off and back on again to get both fixtures updated and reprogrammed.  I was able to easily update and program one fixture, but for some reason ecosmartlive recognized the second, but would not update the firmware or reprogram it.  I finally got it done though, and the one fixture that was flashing on and off seems to be fixed so far.  I just chose the ecotech radiant template program for now, which promotes more coral color rather than growth.  I'll have to find my old programming file for growth and reprogram the fixtures at a later date once I get some sticks back in the tank.  I've got some new scraper blades coming in this week, and got a chance today to clean the skimmer, replace my GFO and do a small water change.  Though still void of sticks, the tank looks better today than it has in the last few months.

I know the pic is blurry as hec but its on the backside of a rock and my phone can't focus, but you can make out the orange speck...the last remaining 3-4 polyps of my setosa.  If I can regrow the colony from this it'll be a miracle. Lol

IMG_20151220_213026063_zpsodrfqbkb.jpg

FTS:12/21/15

IMG_20151221_121418094_zpsekvtdurr.jpg

Just a pic to look back on and remind me how bad of shape my tank was in.  6 months from now hopefully this tank will be growing sticks again. First, I gotta get rid of this aiptasia invasion that's raised its ugly head once again...

• Like 1

Ok, I'll probably swing by there tomorrow and pick him up if nobody beats me to him.

I added a couple test frags to the 120 I had in my 29g frag tank since things are looking better.  My last surviving frag of briarpatch and an ORA purple plasma.  Depending on how these frags do I'll start making the swap from the 90 to the 120.  I'm ready to get this 90g broken down and out of the way!

New heater (finnex titanium w/digital temp controller) and ecotech Reef link ordered today. I also tweaked my Radion program a little.  SPS frags that have now been added into the 120 include ORA purple plasma, ORA rose milli, tricolor valida, shamrock acro, briar patch acro, ORA blue iris, aqaholics Phoebus, AC mint sarmentosa, and purple bonsai.  We'll see how it goes over the next couple months.  I need to get my CA RX back online next...

So, a few months later...I just put my carx back online today.  The new radion lighting schedule seems to be working well for the few SPS that survived the move over from the 90.  I also bought the reeflink and have been playing around with storms and various crazy colors in my tank.  Connected my phone to my jbl Bluetooth speaker today, turned it all the way up and did a thunderstorm.  It was pretty funny cause it scared the dog.  Lol.  I noticed recently that I'm starting to have new growth in my tank from corals that I thought died years ago.  I have new colonies of sunset and reverse superman montipora that are popping up in random places on my rock.  Started off as what looked like small zoanthids until they started encusting.  Hopefully my tank is back on the upswing.  Got a water/GFO change scheduled this week.

• Like 1

New life is always good! Monti's are pretty hard-core! I had some sunset that died off seems like 2 yrs back... The rock it was on made the transfer and the sunset is making a comeback! Pretty neat!

Hoping your tank continues to do good man!

2 hours ago, RedStickReefer said:

Was curious what my last update was on the 120...tank and inhabitants were lost in the flood...looking forward to getting back into my home and building a new reef in 2017.

Here's to the one of the best home and tank revivals ever!  :drinkingcheers:

Go for it Jensen, I'm stuck in Jacksonville, FL in a house we are not allowed to have a tank in....