Jaytizzle

JT's 20" cube

That is going to be a very nice setup Jay. Glad you post some pictures of the overflow being cut, I like the idea of using a screw in the jig to cut the notches. I guess an old DIY dog can learn new tricks. Keep the pictures coming.

Got some more work done today. The face frame has been biscuit joined and is set. Will mount it to the stand soon.

46b120e7-8bce-260f.jpg

Here's the door. It is framed up and waiting to be installed.

46b120e7-8bdf-9161.jpg

More work to do! Will be back at it again tomorrow!

That is going to be a very nice setup Jay. Glad you post some pictures of the overflow being cut, I like the idea of using a screw in the jig to cut the notches. I guess an old DIY dog can learn new tricks. Keep the pictures coming.

Louis, Al if full of those tricks. I've seen him do all kinds of stuff so far that I never would have thought to do!

JT, I don't know if we talked about it but I am planning to set up my 240 on the other side of the wall from my 120 and use the same sump. I can cut back on a return pump and a skimmer. Let me know if you have any problems with flow and balancing the water between both tanks.

What do you mean "balancing the water between tanks"?

They both have overflow boxes so I am not anticipating any problems. All I plan to do is tee off the return line and send one line to the cube with a valve inline. The returns from the cube will go directly to the sump, I'm not going to tie the drainage lines together.

I'll certainly let you know how it works out. My wife is gonna freak when I go to cutting a big hole in the wall! I need to figure out how to finish the wall so it isn't just an open hole. Any ideas? Maybe treat it like a door frame and trim the outsides with moulding and such...

For how big of a line?

Could you use outlet covers, similar to what you did with the RODI

Or do you need to big hole in the wall to work? Then I would trim it out like you are talking, maybe Al can use some of his kung fu woodworking knowledge and give you an idea

It will have 1" lines (either 2 or 3 of them). I could use outlet covers but that doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I'd prefer to cut a "window" or whatever and finish it up with trim and such.

I am also thinking that I will move all of my electronic equipment - controller, wxm, wireless bridge, etc. - over to this stand so that they aren't under the 120 with the sump. That means I'll have a couple of extra USB cables run through the hole as well.

What do you mean "balancing the water between tanks"?

My wife is gonna freak when I go to cutting a big hole in the wall! I need to figure out how to finish the wall so it isn't just an open hole. Any ideas? Maybe treat it like a door frame and trim the outsides with moulding and such...

You can get you one of the plastic washing machine trays that already have holes precut for the water lines that go to a laundry room. Paint it the same color as your wall and bam you are done!

You can get you one of the plastic washing machine trays that already have holes precut for the water lines that go to a laundry room. Paint it the same color as your wall and bam you are done!

"BAM you are done" Emeril Stang66GT of the reef world. :laughing-rolling:

Thanks, guys. Al is the mastermind behind this build, I'm just there to write the check and provide some extra hands when needed. He truly is a craftsman!

We ran into a snafu yesterday. The router quit working so we will be on hold for a little while. All of the trim boards are cut for the face and sides. Once we get them done and mounted we shouldn't have a whole lot more to go, mostly just finishing work at that point.

I'm super excited with this project. I'm afraid that anyone who knows their way around a lumber shop will spend more time looking at my stand than the tank once it's all set up!!!

I'm super excited with this project. I'm afraid that anyone who knows their way around a lumber shop will spend more time looking at my stand than the tank once it's all set up!!!

Good thing none of us know anything about lumber shops

So what r the plans for lighting this?

DIY LED fixture. Haven't decided on the exact number of diodes yet but I am leaning to 24 royal blue, 12 cool white, and 6 warm white for high noon effect. That may be a bit overkill so I may scale it down to 18 RB, 9 CW, 4 WW. I've got plenty of time to decide, though.

The stand is almost done. We did the vast majority of the sanding tonight. We will finish off the last couple of spots tomorrow and it will get its first coat of stain! I'm thinking another week, possibly two, and it'll have water.

I would rethink that amount of leds JT, I did 24 in my rsm hood and that was more than enough for it. I think you would be fine doing 24 and just dial them down a little bit. If you check drew's post you can see how it looks with just the 24

I would rethink that amount of leds JT, I did 24 in my rsm hood and that was more than enough for it. I think you would be fine doing 24 and just dial them down a little bit. If you check drew's post you can see how it looks with just the 24

Josh, you did 24 LEDs total? What was the configuration? 12 RB and 12 CW?

Yes and yes. I alternated them in two strings of 12, I never checked par or anything on it but from my opinion it looked better and at the same level if not a higher intensity than when I had the 250w mh and 4 t5s on it.

Thanks, Josh... I'll take that into account. I'm going to go with a big heatsink and will have everything wired to my apex. It'll be easy enough to order a couple more parts to add another set of LEDs if I want to increase the light output.

One thing to look into that I saw on RC is t slot framing for heatsinks/fixtures. I am currently planning a build for my 115g using this. Since it has so much surface area you can basically build you a modular fixture that in most cases won't even require a fan to keep cool. Something to consider, since you could easily add in another cross bar of LEDs if you want some more light.

I may need some help from anyone with a background in home theater and/or car audio installation. I am going to move as much of the electronic equipment from my 120 stand over to this stand. I don't want to simply mount it to the wall like everyone else. I don't know just what I want to do yet but I will have the entire stand to use if I wanted to do so. Anybody got any slick ideas?