Sign in to follow this  
SHANE_96INTEGRA

Question

Ok so the cube has been running for about 2.5 weeks now. I put a damsel in it about 1.5 weeks ago and a folden flanked wrasse in about 5 days ago. Tank has about 50 or so gallons of water from my 125 and about 80-100 lbs of cured liverock. My question is im going to get my pair of labouti wrasse this weekend, think it would be safe to add them?

Man that's hard to say if you haven't been testin for the ammonia spike. I've used damsels to cycle 4 or 5 systems and usually takes about 1.5 to 2 weeks, but the largest tank I've cycled is 85g. My gut tells me yes but you don't wanna take a chance.

have you been testing your parameters? each time you add a fish you increase the bioload and it takes time for the bacteria levels to catch up. If none of your nitrates are climbing and of course NO ammonia or anything then it is probably good.

Always amazes me when people order or buy stuff and THEN try to figure out if it is ok to put it in their tank. Not something I would do with rare and expensive fish, but with cured rock and not too many fish in the tank it MIGHT be ok. If it were me and I had these set of circumstances, I think I would find a temporary home for the pair until tank is more mature. That's just me though.

Always amazes me when people order or buy stuff and THEN try to figure out if it is ok to put it in their tank.

It was just a question, can hold them in another tank if need be. When they were ordered the tank was already supose to be up and running. Had some problems and had to take it back down so im behind schedule. Trying to get them so the people holding them for me can have their tank back.

I wouldn't do it. You'll hate yourself if something happen to them. I would give it a couple more weeks just to be on the safe side. Way to much money to take a risk

Question for the more experienced..

Since he used water and rock from his other tank, how long would it take to cycle? I kinda thought that was an easy way to jump-start a new aquarium. ;)

Question for the more experienced..

Since he used water and rock from his other tank, how long would it take to cycle? I kinda thought that was an easy way to jump-start a new aquarium. ;)

It shouldn't go through a big cycle at all. You might see a mini cycle due to dieoff during the transfer. I've done it before and move the corals and fish over the same day without any effect. It was a little nerve wrecking for a few days though but they pulled it through.

Its hard for us to say. Adding new fish to new tanks is the toughest part of this hobby in my opinion. You can't get your bio-filter up without adding fish, and adding fish with not enough bio filter may cause them to die or at least get sick. So typically, I will add hardy fish to my tanks when the tank is new, and don't put the more delicate fish in till the tank is pretty well established.

To me, wrasses are fairly hardy, and if you think your tank is sufficiently cycled and that it has a pretty good bio-filter going, I would think you are OK. Just watch it closely and make sure it is not getting sick after you put it in there. :twocents-twocents:

Thanks ken, water tested 0 on everything but phosphates. Think they are gonna be ok, I am a little worried about the female. She comes out to eat but other than that she just lays in the rock. both the labouti male and the flanked swim around all day.

Is the female breathing normally? Is she scratching? Is there any agressors in the tank? If all looks normal, she may just still be adjusting. Did you treat for flukes?

So do i, if not about 300 down the drain.

When looking at the scheme of things that's merely a drop in the bucket in the hobby. You'll spend waayy more than that in the long run. ;)