gpd605x

New to Me 75g Tank

This is a durso. It is off my 65 it is 1" pvc on the bottom and 1.25 pvc for the rest I just swapped it out and made one out of 1.50 PVC with a 1" bottom

jegugyny.jpgyva9u3a7.jpg

Edited by 6lilfishes

Yea, I think I worded it wrong lol. The 1.5" will be my drain and the 1" will be my return. I bought the tank w/ out the overflow and the guy I bought it from said he would make one for it. I've been looking at the space inside and I am concerned about room for the Durso Pipe. If it turns out to not be enough room, I can always cut it away and maybe use some glass overflow instead of acrylic. I didn't get a chance to go to the LFS to get the bulkheads... guess that will be sometime this week. This will be a slow build, I think I'm going to re-stain the stand. It's like a dark cherry but almost black in most places. Almost like they put way too much stain on it. I would like to make a canopy but I'm not sure how to make it work. I'll figure something out! 

You could always use a Stockman Standpipe if space is limited inside your overflow box. Just Google it. I ran one on my 90 for a couple months since it came with it. It did fine, but after a while I got bored and felt that I needed a project so I built a durso. Just a suggestion. I'd hate to see ya tear that purty overflow box out!

I ran my 120 for several years with just straight pipe, no durso or elbows at all.  I used the Herbie method and had 1"-1.5" piping on my main drain and 3/4"-1.25" for my back up.  It all fit fine in a standard overflow box.  

This is a durso. It is off my 65 it is 1" pvc on the bottom and 1.25 pvc for the rest I just swapped it out and made one out of 1.50 PVC with a 1" bottom

jegugyny.jpgyva9u3a7.jpg

I have a durso pipe that I changed to try the Maggie Muffler.  The durso is 1.5" with a 1" taper into the drain bulkhead.  It is quiet but I get a flushing every few minutes.  I'll try the durso again and see if I can adjust it a bit better.

Thats what I did.  I would like to increase the capacity of the drain, if not for added turnover of the tank, but to allow the drain to keep up with the pump.

You don't want is a lot of flow through the sump. You want it to be slow through the sump. To give the skimmer time to work.

Edited by 6lilfishes

Finally set up the new tank! Pretty much took me all day to do it by myself. The sump still needs a little work... I decided to put the old smaller acrylic sump inside the 29g tank because it already had the fittings and all. The acrylic sump is too small for my return pump, skimmer and heater to fit in and I didn't want the skimmer hanging on the back of the tank. I think I'll need to put some baffles in and figure it out but I wanted to hurry and get it all set up... It works out right now. If you guys would have any suggestions on the sump, I would certainly appreciate it. It took about a day and a half for it all to clear up and start to look like a tank again. I'm noticing some micro bubbles in the tank, which I think would be eliminated with a sump design but I'm not sure. I've monitored it very carefully over this past weekend and its looking good. Left enough room in the sump in case of a power failure. I went to Just Fish for sand and some plumbing questions and ended up buying 60lbs of sand and their Overflow Kit. Comes with 3 types of bulkheads and all the stuff I would need. My return hole is 1" and the kit comes with a 1" bulkhead. So as I was getting everything set up, the 1" bulkhead would not fit in the 1" hole. So I had to go back to the store and get a slightly smaller size. It was a bit of a headache but overall I think everything is doing good. Here are some pictures! If anyone has any suggestions or anything, please let me know, I'm still kinda new to all of this and would love ya'lls advice.

Pictures!

Here is the return hole:

4F872372-2A5C-4D2A-A74E-C478B7BC64F0_zps

Here is the 1" bulkhead not fitting:
B4CEBDFF-1F6D-4A6B-8BED-4D49CF40F82F_zps

Here's the Overflow Kit:

86D89F24-934E-435E-9E5E-9BD989EEA6B5_zps

Here's the Durso type stand pipe:

2B1DBEF1-F8D9-4B5C-9D2D-05346AD326E0_zps

Here's what the kit comes with:

02241612-BC98-43E7-ABF5-F26C552332CD_zps

Here's the sump in the 29g tank:

9219415B-E68C-4BCB-92CD-4753FB34E419_zps

Here it is all installed:

30212B32-E59F-4ACF-8F94-E56C7C66F814_zps

Valve on the return side:

6F85698A-3B81-4FE5-A329-9A5E5D95A532_zps

Had to knock some teeth out for the return"

081581BC-77F8-4802-81DC-D9DE7287722D_zps

All moved into its new spot!

CB1DEE0D-B8FD-4B78-9067-7E9715031D75_zps

Adding sand:

D4609267-6C58-4740-A40E-EF2D7E50A4C7_zps339B464C-3FF5-4442-AE44-8CE2378570B2_zps

All filled up:

9F168B80-CCF9-4F03-90D6-D3935FD84EC2_zps

After 1 night:

6195E2F1-681A-4A85-8D96-1D90825D52D4_zps

All pretty (ish) 

71B87AB7-9736-4102-AED5-23B320CCDD9C_zps

Sump and LED light (used double sided sticky tape):

23E49CA2-F1F6-4805-8CE5-587C6216099A_zps
3427BC01-E1EC-43F3-A25B-5EAF83856CC6_zps

6B468E8B-A9A8-4584-AE8E-857B4F15B643_zps

1EF072FA-9625-4F9B-BA64-99FCAA38D36F_zps

7C8AD7E4-0580-4DD7-B5AE-FDE3D01D2C0C_zps

And hers a small video of it running:

You may set a new trend with the sump inside of a sump idea :D

The micro bubbles will likely go away if you had a bubble trap before the return pump.

Looks good man! You could put a small filter sock on the skimmer's output to catch the micro-bubbles if it continues to be a problem. Also, one thing I see that may lead to problems is the hose clamp on the return pump flex-hose. Pending on the material it may rust and deteriorate since it's under water. I've had one that was out & above the water give out in three months time. I replaced the hose clamp with a big zip-tie and works fine.

Thanks guys! The package said the hose clamp was stainless steel but who knows. I've had one deteriorate on me when I first got my sump going in my 55g and had to replace it with another one and it worked great. If it does mess up, I might go with a heavy duty zip tie! The only reason I went the sump in a sump idea lol is because of the extra room in case of a power outage. I don't have a battery back-up system or anything like that. I plan on getting some filter socks to help out... Could I put a sponge or something similar on the return pump? Not sure if that would dampen the pump or not. Ideally, I would just have the 29g as the sump and have someone design some baffles for it and then I could get rid of the Sump-In-Sump idea :)

Also, my dad has a UV sterilizer, pretty good size one that he doesn't use anymore. He used it when he had a little pond set up, would it be beneficial to set it up? I'll get some pictures of the sterilizer up tomorrow and I'll try to get a brand/details about it too. It's just sitting in the shed now not being used. I really need to get a RODI system... I think that would greatly help me and the tank out. 

An RO/DI unit would definitely help out a ton. I can't imagine not having one. I'd skip the sponge on the return pump unless you plan to change it every couple/few days. If it's not super clean it will restrict flow big time. I'd also probably skip the UV sterilizer, at least until you have a model number and some specs on it. Flow rate, bulb change frequency, etc, are the main reasons why I'd skip it.

Yea, I plan on getting the specs on it to see what its rated for and what not. I'll get some filter socks and see if that helps with the bubbles. Thanks everyone! 

I also am thinking about doing a full clown/nem tank. I love clowns and the bond they have with nems... I've never cared for a nem before so obviously I'll start out w/ a basic BTA and gain some skills and knowledge on them. I've seen some really beautiful clown/nem tanks and that's why I'm considering it. I really like how "flowy" they are and same with frogspawn and similar types of corals. 

Here's an example:

Pic1_zps82704d43.jpg

A few shots :) Not sure what kind of Hermit Crab this is but it's huge!

DF4D2530-1DD2-4246-A7B2-FFCD8AC19CA0_zps

7A29FDF3-5F71-4019-876B-9BE7308BDAE9_zps

29A73454-3B20-4CF1-95F6-D42B83BD2744_zps

9C9FBFAE-C9C2-4994-BD03-3256EA0D9276_zps

A2FA8BE7-EE8C-47DC-9D61-56841D1CB901_zps6BADF914-8D38-499A-B181-956C346CBC27_zps

I really need to get some color in the tank! Any idea's on some easy things to care for that have some color?

Edited by gpd605x

A small update, I've got a diatom bloom going on so the sand is getting rusty which I assume is normal because of the new tank and added new water. I was looking at a Red BTA... but I want to make sure I am able to sustain it before I get it. The diatom bloom has me worried that it might not last. The rock and fish are over a year old so the bacteria and everything is there. What yall think?

Well I decided to get one. Got a small one from Just Fish. Acclimated properly and set it in a crevice on a good size rock. Seems to be happy, its nice and "flowy". Noticed it starting to move which I figured it would do until it finds its happy place. It's been in the tank now for a full day or more and i woke up and went to go look at it and could not find it at all. So I immediately started looking under rocks and found it under a large rock. From what I've read, this could be perfectly normal or it could be bad. I've read to where some have done this before they split, some are doing it because they are new... So I'm just going to watch it and see how it goes.

Hours after first added:

E2E0AB51-14C2-4C51-B12A-7AE41C7DCFA8_zps

About 24hrs after intro:

D243DEF2-EE71-435B-A814-3EF4ACFF032A_zps

DA07535F-53DA-494E-9858-1B01BA444110_zps

Here is a small video of it:

And here it is under the rock - I actually turned the rock up out of the sand

26E356A6-0229-4FED-9AA9-231CD436BA1B_zps

Yeah Nems are crazy! It's slightly bleached, but the good thing is that it looks happy. I picked mine up from the same place and it looked to be about the same shape yours is. At first, mine crawled behind some rocks and hid out for a few weeks then slowly started peaking around to gather some light. After about a month, it crawled around until it could find a nice spot to bury it's foot and stretch upwards to get some light. Mine will stretch out about 8"!!!  It's been in the same spot ever since. I fed mine mini mysis every two weeks once it was settled in. It colored up nicely in no time.

Just keep an eye on a new nem. They will wonder into powerheads, overflow grates, and across your corals. Keep an eye on your Nitrates too. If it hides under some rocks let him be. It'll come out when it's ready. Never ever try to pull or pry it off your rock work. Good Luck! ;)

Yea this thing is crazy lol, I woke up this morning and it was all curled up and only the tips were hanging out but it slowly came back out and looks to be doing great. Would it look bleached because of it being new in the tank or would it be a light issue?

I have to adjust my power heads anyway, they are slowly moving the sand bed and blowing it away. I've got them as high as I can on the tank and have them pointed towards the top of the tank so not sure how I can fix that. 

Well small update... The nem seems to be doing good. Got what looks like some diatom bloom going on. I'm assuming this is because of the new sand and new water added... but its slowly going away. Not as fast as I would like but its going non the less. Not sure if this is a norm for nems but it looks like this sometimes...

9083D71D-EF34-44F3-A70E-6DB7ECB1FC81_zps

Not sure what its doing... So far the "bubble tips" have yet to show. From what I've read, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Also, my clowns haven't hosted it yet. The bigger one seems to be warming up to it, getting really close to it then swimming away. From what I've read, it does take some time for them to host.

I really need to get an RODI Unit. Not sure how I would be able to set it up currently. I also need to get an ATO. It's annoying adding water every 4-5 days.